Need some assistance

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

350fenlon

Original poster
Jun 1, 2017
Northern Michigan
So I received this from a family friend, and they want me to smoke it... but I’ve never done one and have no idea on temp, length, or seasonings... Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 772985A7-4FFE-4962-94B5-FC04DC187571.jpeg
    772985A7-4FFE-4962-94B5-FC04DC187571.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 65
I did one up last week. Smoked with apple for 3+ hours at 225* - until temp reached 160*. Since it was loin I placed a small bowl of water in the smoker. Best choice I made since it came out extremely juicy. Use your favourite pork rub; I just used a generic one I bought from the store.

Good luck!

smoke it to about 140* take it off the smoker let it rest for a few minutes. The carry over will get you near 145*. The safe temp for pork. Use any rub you like. I really like a garlic and herb rub. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
The best pork loin I've ever smoked was smoked with a 50/50 mix of mesquite and pecan. I was real iffy about the mesquite--it's not a common wood for
pork--but it turned out fantastic. I pulled the loin out of the smoker when the IT hit 140 and let the carry over bring it up to 145. Turned out nice and juicy.
I've done loin the same way using other woods by themselves--orange, and Jack Daniels--with great results. The main thing is not to overcook the loin or it will be tough and dry.
Gary

Rub lightly with some vegetable oil. Press your choice of rub into oil coating. I like SPOG with a little dark brown sugar added. Most fruit woods work on pork loin for me. Cook to 150 internal temperature, then cover in foil for 10 to 15 minutes. Should be faintly pink, done to medium. A lot of people are still afraid of pink pork. Use an instant read thermometer . 145 med rare, 150 medium, 160 why bother.
For an interesting side dish or accompaniment, I serve canned apple pie filling in small ramekins. Chop the apple slices into small pieces, serve warm like a dipping sauce for the pork.

Last edited:
Reactions: sawhorseray
I know this is a bit late, but I just smoked it today... it was absolutely delicious!!!

Attachments

• 1E60D872-F1AB-4CA2-91C8-195177CF54D4.jpeg
    1E60D872-F1AB-4CA2-91C8-195177CF54D4.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 17
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky