Need good wing rub for a party.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Hi guys. My wings have been turning out crispy with my new vortex. But kinda plain. I’ve been using SPOG. But not really sure how much to put on. I have my daughters bday party and I’m doing a bunch of wings for and really want them to turn out good. What’s everyone’s go to for wing rub and how much do you put on. Also do you bribe your wings

Marinate in Italian dressing and dales then coat in weber kickin chickin or tonys is always good. Kinda depends on what flavor profile you are going for

Hi guys. My wings have been turning out crispy with my new vortex. But kinda plain. I’ve been using SPOG. But not really sure how much to put on. I have my daughters bday party and I’m doing a bunch of wings for and really want them to turn out good. What’s everyone’s go to for wing rub and how much do you put on. Also do you bribe your wings

Be careful using the Vortex and certain rubs. The high heat can change the flavor of the rub. I tried a garlic and herb rub once and it seemed to burn the rub. I almost had to toss the wings, and this is a rub I really like.

Chris

On Chris' thought about rubs burning, I never rub my drums (wings too $$ here) before smoking etc. I brine and smoke a few days in advance. When serving I fire up the grill and grill them and then toss with rub in tupperware bowl with lid and serve. Same would apply to vortex: brine, grill, toss, serve. Cool part is you can experiment with as many rubs and or sauces as you want. 99% sure that is how restaurants do it. I would suggest Jeff's rub, TX rub, and sauce to start. I also dig lemon pepper in the summer. Also could do some buffalo wing style.

Reactions: gmc2003
On Chris' thought about rubs burning, I never rub my drums (wings too $$ here) before smoking etc. I brine and smoke a few days in advance. When serving I fire up the grill and grill them and then toss with rub in tupperware bowl with lid and serve. Same would apply to vortex: brine, grill, toss, serve. Cool part is you can experiment with as many rubs and or sauces as you want. 99% sure that is how restaurants do it. I would suggest Jeff's rub, TX rub, and sauce to start. I also dig lemon pepper in the summer. Also could do some buffalo wing style.

YES and NO...While most folks dont bother, and just mix everthing to make a Rub. The best Restaurants take their Rubs to the next level. Many spices have a dead flavor and a Sandy texture until cooked. Ground Coriander, Cumin, Turmeric, Cardamom, Chiles, including Paprika, and even Black Pepper, are all better after cooking. Dry Herbs, like Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Sage, and Rosemary are better when cooked. An alternative is to TOAST Whole Spices and then Grind to add to a Rub. Since Paprika or Chili Powder is usually pre-ground, just add it briefly when the pan comes off the heat. The same with Herbs as they Burn easily.The rest of the typical Rub ingredients, Garlic, Onion, Salt, are good to go...This the difference between Great rubs, that are not cooked and the OK Rubs on Wings...JJ

Reactions: zwiller
Thanks for the words guys. I ended up doing equal parts of SPOG on some and the others I objected with a mix of franks and butter. Then let them soak in a bag of franks and butter for a couple hours and topped with some Tony’s. They were a big hit. I’ll probably never make wings without injecting them with that again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky