MY FIRST EVER TRI-TIP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Ive never done a tri- tip in my life...ive wanted to for a very long time and always have my eyes peeled when at the store in hopes of finding one ... Well... The only ones ive ever found are pre marinated and I just never had too high of hopes for them. This cut is just not common around here...

But .... I was recently blessed by a friend and forum member here with a very nice tri-tip!
How awesome is that!!! I was extremely excited to put this on the smoker and finally get to experience this wonderful cut of beef!

Started out triming just a little bit.. A small amount of silver skin and a little piece of loose fat here anf there..
Next a quick rub down with some worchestishire followed by salt and a liberal amount of course ground black pepper..

0306221815~2.jpg

Next I set up the smoker... I originally wanted to use my UDS but I was dealing with 18 mph winds that day... Much easier to move the kettle to the side of the house in the driveway where the wind would be blocked.. I set it up using the snake method and a few small chunks of mesquite wood... Once it got going I had it running pretty steady at about 260°.
On went the roast.... It went about 40 min at that temp and then I choked it down to 220ish for the remainder of the cook.. Full cook time was right at 2 hr 10 min when it hit 128° IT..
Took it off and let it rest for 15-20 min before slicing into it......
I found the grain directions and and started slicing... WOW!!! JUST PERFECT!!!.. It came out just as I expected... Edge to edge pink with a slight outer cust... I could tell right away how tender this was going to be from the first slice!

Here is the sliced picture..
0306222003a_HDR~3.jpg

I had made up some pea salad earlier to go along with it and my boys had been wanting mashed taters for days so we had that too..along with some buttered bread from an "everything" loaf of bread.

Plated picture...
0306222013~3.jpg

This meal was fantastic!!! The tri-Tip was everything I had hoped for...it came out extreamly tinder and the flavor from this cut packs a real beefy punch! The pea salad was nice for a change..been a long time since ive made that... And who doesnt love mashed potatoes with copious amounts of melted butter???

All in all this was a great meal.. Clean plates accross the table.. The boys love a good steak and this roast had them very quiet at the table as they chowed down lol!
I cant say enough how much I appreciate the generosity from the folks here on the forum.. This made my whole week!

Thanks for taking a look!!

WOW!! Travis, that looks spectacular. Absolutely perfect cook on that roast and the whole meal is just over the top. Congrats on finally getting to realize a dream. We love tri tips around here and fortunately they are pretty easy to find. Weird how regional certain cuts are. So nice to hear also that it met (or hopefully exceeded) your expectations. All too often you go into something like this with high hopes only to have it fall short. Not this time apparently. Well done my friend.

Robert

Reactions: Sowsage
WOW!! Travis, that looks spectacular. Absolutely perfect cook on that roast and the whole meal is just over the top. Congrats on finally getting to realize a dream. We love tri tips around here and fortunately they are pretty easy to find. Weird how regional certain cuts are. So nice to hear also that it met (or hopefully exceeded) your expectations. All too often you go into something like this with high hopes only to have it fall short. Not this time apparently. Well done my friend.

Robert
Thanks Robert ! I had some great guidance on this one... I had no doubt it would turn out great!
I will say i was blown away at how concentrated the beef flavor is from this cut!!

Wow! Incredible cook and piece of meat! Good call on the Weber, I have always had the best TT results off of a kettle or a Santa Maria. You really honored that generous gift with a perfect cook and a beautiful plate!

Great looking cook and plate! Now you are hooked. TT are so good! Luckily here they are easy to find.

You did that tri tip proud. Perfectly cooked. Now lets talk about that pea salad......I think I could take a spoon to the bowl and just make a meal out of that!
Jim

Super tritip. I have never smoked them from beginning to end without a sear, need to try that. I have 2 untrimmed in the freezer I want to do one brisket style...at some point.

Thanks for the post

That's awesome Travis ! You nailed it! And a beautiful plate of food as well. I've only had one tri tip as well. So excited to get and try one and find out how good they are...then turns into wanting to find more!

Ryan

Perfection on a plate Travis, just a gorgeous piece of work! Tritip comes on sale here tomorrow morning, I'll be at the market bright and early. RAY

Wow! Incredible cook and piece of meat! Good call on the Weber, I have always had the best TT results off of a kettle or a Santa Maria. You really honored that generous gift with a perfect cook and a beautiful plate!
Thanks! I absolutely love my kettle. Extreamly versatile ! And your right that was a very generous gift!!

Reactions: bauchjw
Great looking cook and plate! Now you are hooked. TT are so good! Luckily here they are easy to find.
Thanks! Yep.. I'm hooked!! Thinking about making an order for some to keep in the freezer!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky