Smoked Bison Tri-Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Name4SmokingForum

Original poster
Jul 2, 2023
I've cooked a lot of tri-tip in my life, coming from California. Never tried smoking it before, so decided to give it a go! And to mix it up, wanted to give a bison tri-tip a go as well.

Smoked on my Smokin-it #2 wifi, with hickory and cherry wood. Rubbed it with olive oil and cow cover rub from Cosmos bbq. Pulled it at 130F, after about 1 hour and 45 minutes. I didn't want to go much further due to how lean bison is. Didn't come out dry at all! After a 10 minute rest, temp ranged from 135F - 145F. Served with honey roasted root vegetables.

Different flavor than cooking it Santa Maria style, which is what I grew up doing. But very good, bison has a nice beefier flavor and the rub added a nice flavor. Next time I might pull it earlier and give it a sear, but I didn't feel like smoking up the kitchen tonight. Calling this one a success.

Attachments

• 1-1.jpeg
    1-1.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 43
Never tried bison but that plate looks great 😍!
And congrats on the ride!

Keith

Last edited:
Bison are an interesting critter. I've never seen tri-tip yours looks great.

I really like Bison burgers, hamburger steaks, meatloaf, and meatballs. The price point point for steaks is usually high..., but if you ever see Bison back ribs give them a try. They have an odd shape, but good marbling.

I really like Bison burgers, hamburger steaks, meatloaf, and meatballs. The price point point for steaks is usually high..., but if you ever see Bison back ribs give them a try. They have an odd shape, but good marbling.

I'm in Colorado nowadays, so lucky enough there are bison farms that sell straight to consumer. Bison back ribs are 5.75/lb, once my freezer gets a little more room I'll have to pick some up!

Dang I love Bison and am in SoCal so I know the Santa Maria style well. I also love Tri-Tip but have never seen a bison one available. I am going to have to search this out. I am guessing a huge hit on the pocket book though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky