My First Buckboard Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
Although I’ve been making belly bacon for years, this is my first time making buckboard bacon with a ton of help from you folks. I followed this formula for the dry brine. Converting all weights to grams made it super easy.

0.25% cure#1
0.75% sugar
1.5% salt

I bought a bone-in shoulder two pack. The fatty top I used for the buckboard and the bottom I turned in to capicola which is still curing and should be ready for the Umai Dry bags mid-week. I left one buckboard with the plain cure and I added a Capicola seasoning to the other because I had plenty from the other project. I vacuum sealed it and turned it over every day. Upon your collective advice I let it cure for two weeks. I opened it and gave it a quick rinse and it’s been drying in the garage fridge under the gentle breeze of my cheap computer fan for two days. This afternoon I put it in my Yoder YS640s at 150 for 2 hours then bumped it up to 170 until I hit an IT of 140. I used a 50/50 combo of Lumberjack cherry and Knottywood plum. The color turned out incredible. I wrapped them both in butcher paper and they are now going to mellow and age in the fridge for a few days.

B3E67212-E698-47AF-8EA2-B74D28810D75.jpeg
Vacuum sealed and ready for a two week cure.

A962F136-8528-49F6-9B9C-9CF5965523BB.jpeg BCC20FE1-9319-4FAA-B58F-201948F478D3.jpeg
Out of the cure, rinsed, and drying under the computer fan. Daily change of paper towels and flip.

1B9B1D3F-F876-4FF4-B369-6726B2B5021B.jpeg
Into the smoker.

842CA210-4DC9-4A71-B736-D8AE21BC2A23.jpeg
A couple hours into the smoke and an IT of about 120.

21EC0205-F1DD-4ABB-896B-D201CFB61591.jpeg EB977F96-FE66-43A3-B4F2-4CF659028DD1.jpeg
Out of the smoker at an IT of 140. These pictures are straight off my iPhone, no enhancement. These are actually how they looked. It was the drying process and the cherry/plum pellets that gave it this color. The cure helped, too.

I’ll be sure to post pictures of slicing and baking these beauties. I’m hoping the salt levels are right. If it’s too salty I’ll cube it and use it for soups like you’d use salt pork. Then I’ll start again by lowering my salt level by .5% until I find what works for us. I’m also curious to see if the spices traveled into the buckboard enough to be noticeable.

Stay tuned. More pictures to follow.

Excellent job, Sven. Slice off a little and sample it now. It will get a little better after a day of 2 in the fridge, but your salt level will remain the same, no matter. If they taste as awesome as they look, you're in for a real treat, for sure.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I’m very tempted but I have a CT scan in the morning and an empty belly is requested. So, the bacon is safe for a day, at least. Ha! Otherwise I can’t stop myself around bacon. “Oh, just another 30 slices won’t matter.”

Reactions: Brokenhandle
As you I've done many pounds of belle bacon now. Buck board is on my to do list!
I'll grab my bowl of popcorn and sit by!

I hope your CT scan is for nothing serious young chef!

Beautiful slabs! Should not be too salty @1.5%....commercial bacon is 2-2.25% salt.
I had no clue the salt on commercial bacon was that high. Wow. I’ve not had commercial bacon in a long time since I’ve started making my own. Homemade is so much better, it’s like a completely different meat. In fact, I watch some of these professionals on YouTube make dishes and they use store bought bacon and I just think, “Why are you doing that when you’re perfectly capable of making your own?” I hope that doesn’t make me a snob but if you’re making a nice dish, go the extra step.

I had no clue the salt on commercial bacon was that high. Wow. I’ve not had commercial bacon in a long time since I’ve started making my own. Homemade is so much better, it’s like a completely different meat. In fact, I watch some of these professionals on YouTube make dishes and they use store bought bacon and I just think, “Why are you doing that when you’re perfectly capable of making your own?” I hope that doesn’t make me a snob but if you’re making a nice dish, go the extra step.
You are straight up correct imo. Commercial bacon is injected as well. Ya know what happens when water reacts with grease!
I do the Pops cure with the reduced salt, I still need to try the other method that is taught here like you did.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky