My 90 day free trial to Walmart + ended

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Something I discovered with Amazon Prime early on is that free shipping was baked in to the price on many items. I haven't done it recently but I found if I went at the website from a different browser that didn't have the cookies from my membership sign-in, prices were lower than when I shopped as a Prime member.
Not just Prime members, I am not, and I have noticed the prices are higher than MSRP in a lot of cases.
Their "Free Shipping" I look at as "No Additional Shipping Charge".

Reactions: chef k-dude
I ended up passing on the 50% off. The only real value I saw in it get me what I get at Amazon was Paramount +. I have that through a different deal so no value for me. Most of the other things I don't think I'd use. I bought it last year just to get the early Black Friday access to a great TV deal.

After a few months of Plus membership, the Scan and Go is working far better than I originally thought. Wife and I are getting good at it and rarely is there not check out kiosk availabe. We just walk up , scan a QR code for Walmart Pay, and walk out.

I've not seen that prices for plus members are any better, except for gasoline.

We're now getting groceries delivered and since almost all the meats we eat come off smokers, I buy meat elsewhere. We do get chicken wings delivered.

I haven't seen that Walmart prices on items shipped are better. Amazon generally beats them. So the free shipping is kind of a non item for me.

I did find this deal on their early Black Friday sale this week, supposedly , Plus members got a head start, I've no idea if that was a perk, or not.

Barbecue gloves for $13

The other really stupid thing I found with W+ is they dont have a way to add family members, not even a spouse. So my wife will have to log-in with my credentials. Not a huge problem...I think, but she has her own side of Amazon Prime so I dont see all of her purchases and she doesn't see mine. Not really a "hide something thing from the spouse" thing, but we really dont give a rip about each other's seemingly random purchases. She doesn't care about the timberjack I just bought nor do I care about the embroidery machine parts she buys, we literally dont even care to have the discussion!

The price thing I was referring to was the possibility of having a plus or prime membership actually costing more per item price. I just tried to test that but even the browser I seldom use on my computer is infected with my cookies...it even knows who I am and logs me in automatically!

The Paramount+ subscription is useless to me and I wish I had never enabled it. I've read that its hard to extricate yourself from that so you can get a premium subscription to work. You have no control over it on the Paramount site...they just redirect you to Walmart.com where you will find zero information on how to cancel and get out of that.

We've had Dish with the Hopper DVR for years and I cannot stand the life-time-suck of commercials. I feel like a sucker sitting through commercials and some of them are just terrible. We hardly ever watch anything that was not previously recorded (I also dont allow sports to suck my life's time) so we can skip the commercials...and with Primetime shows, the Hopper actually skips them for you. Having to pay for a TV service yet have to sit through commercials is an insult on its face to me. I dont see me sitting through what is reported as a ridiculous amount of commercials on the Paramount+ "economy" subscription. I'd rather just turn the TV off and turn some music on and have a bourbon!...or three...

Dish had the commercial skip way back, then stopped.
The only channel that had it recently when I cut the cord was ABC.
None of the other channels had it.
We just DVR most everything so can skip commercials.
Commercials have their place. They give you time to go the the kitchen or bathroom. Haha

Dish had the commercial skip way back, then stopped.
None of the other channels had it.
We just DVR most everything so can skip commercials.
Commercials have their place. They give you time to go the the kitchen or bathroom. Haha
Commercials are my mess aroma and on phone time. I'm checking in here often during them lol

"Dish had the commercial skip way back, then stopped.
None of the other channels had it."

There ARE a select few programs that dont have auto-skip due to whatever rights/agreement they have with Dish, and of course auto-skip is only for prime time shows on the 4 major networks. We dont watch everything on the prime time network shows but pretty much everything we DO watch will auto-skip for us. Usually auto-skip doesn't work until something like 24 hours after airing. We get spoiled with it and complain on other non-prime time recorded shows that we actually have to grab the remote to fast forward! The height of laziness!

"We just DVR most everything so can skip commercials."

We almost never watch anything we actually want to pay attention to, live. I'm not a Dish promoter, but I have to say it's nice that Dish Anywhere lets you access your DVR from anywhere you have good internet. I carry a Firestick with me in case a hotel room has a TV with an additional HDMI port and we can watch our shows, recorded with fast forward available on the road.

"Commercials have their place. They give you time to go the the kitchen or bathroom. Haha"

That's what the pause button is for! Once they invent that for movie theaters I might actually go to one again. Last movie I went to was Titanic...mercilessly long and I had gut problems and missed a half an hour in the bathroom...

Yea, commercials DO pay for the programs, but I dont like paying twice, once for the service I pay for, then again sucking my time having to watch them. If I were watching the free streamers, I would accept the commercials as the "price to play". There's usually nothing new, or I haven't seen or want to see on those services.

There are some commercials these days that are doing theatrical type productions. I would rather turn the TV off than watch that. I still have too much testosterone to dig musicals...

Back to Walmart+

Are we supposed to tip the drivers? And do you have to be home at all? I suppose if getting fresh produce or meat in summer it would be crucial, or anything that would be damaged from freezing in winter. Where we are, there is zero worry about theft. Animals getting at the food? Yep.

How does that work? I haven't used it yet.

I did order a single bag of chips the store here stopped carrying. One bag of chips, "free" shipping. Isn't that something...I'm testing to see if they arrive as "chips or crumbs" before ordering any other stuff.

It's weird how they separate stuff they have at the store from shipping. I think that's stupid. I was playing with a mock or potential order, and the site forced certain items to be shipped which makes sense, but items available in-store they forced as pick up or delivery. Not crazy about that at all.

Mrs Okie tips the drivers a small amount. I'm mixed on that. Any money I save goes to tips.

I would prefer to tip the " pickers " who fill the order.

About W+ Scan and Go , we don't bother to sack our groceries. We have boxes in the trunk of the car and unload the basket into the boxes.

It took a while for Mrs Okie and I to get accustomed to it, but we both think its great now. Its really convenient at the Neighbordhood stores.

There's big debate out there on tipping grocery drivers apparently. On one hand, they are getting $5-7 a run and get 65.5¢ per mile on their taxes for the gas, wear and tear on the vehicle. On the other hand, it can take an hour round trip to pick up and make a delivery depending on the delay at the store, loading, traffic, etc.. There must be a reason these folks are driving for money. McDonald's pays $14 dollars an hour here and other places are paying more, so driving must be worthwhile or at least better than schlepping in a restaurant or the Home Depot.

For me its a quandary. On one hand, I'm a decent tipper in general; on the other hand, I only bought the service to try for half price! If I'm paying $2-5 for a tip every time, that can add up if I use the service a lot. That's why it ticks me off that I cant have certain non-perishable items shipped if they have it in the store. I would rather use the shipping for that stuff and not deal with a driver at all, then go to the store for stuff we are nitpicky about, like produce.

Something I DID read is one person who was a driver for several services says either tip in cash or after the fact because the vendor, Walmart in this case, will not raise the competition delivery rate for drivers, using the tip you already added as an incentive. Apparently, the way it works is, Walmart starts offering the delivery to drivers at $3 and if no one takes it, it starts bumping up during the first hour and can reach $8 in an hour if no driver has claimed the job.

With Walmart you have 14 days to add a tip if paying with a card, I think is what I read, so you can see how your delivery goes, then come back and tip. But, the thing is, what is there to complain about with a delivery other than maybe time frame? If the store picks and packs everything, it's not the driver's fault if the store got something wrong or caused a delay.

On the scan and go. I need to hold my wife's hand on that. She does most of the Walmart shopping but is a bit of a Luddite regarding new tech stuff like that. She still waits in line for a cashier while I will used self-checkout even if I have many items. I prefer to pack my own bags.

I love scan and go at Sam's and we keep storage stuff in the back of our van to hold the stuff till we get home. I dont like the "theater of security" to get out of the store though. I should not have to wait in any line after I have paid. And the security is not all-that. I accidentally got out of there with a $60 jug of peanut oil without paying. When I called to tell them this and apologize, they had no easy remedy. I was ready to give them a credit card and they said the only way to do it was to bring it back and ring it up. That's a 35 minute one way trip and at least $6-7 in gas. They just accepted the loss and thanked me for my honestly and caring.

Welp, it didn't take long for me to figure out W+ was not worth it for me. I did some research and found drivers in forums talking about the cheapskate customers who dont tip or tip small and how some actually keep a log of those customers and try not to take those jobs. They actually pick and choose their delivery jobs, its not like they are next in line and have to take them. So if you are not going to tip...well...you are likely going to eventually end up with slow delivery, flattened bread, broken cookies and eggs.

I am a good tipper, but I bargain shop to help afford those good tips to a restaurant server. Having to tip for my groceries is NOT bargain shopping.

The other thing I found is, that free shipping? BS. You cant have anything shipped that is available at your store unless you live way far away from the store. You are forced to either shop yourself, have it delivered (with the requisite tip) or use pickup (also found that people tip that!).

Paramount+ doesn't have but maybe three things we want to watch and as I said before, I feel like a dope trying to "occupy" myself during commercials...and no Walmart's near me have fuel pumps.

I cancelled W+ one week after getting it. They gave me a full refund even though I tested shipping with a bag of chips they no longer carry in the store. FAIL! It was like someone poked the bag with a pin to deflate the protective air cushion the manufacturer inflates the bags with. It arrived well packed, but flattened and half the chips broken.

W+ is great for the well-to-do who like to sit back and get groceries delivered...and tip. But if you really have money, there are food delivery services that are far better. Most of us wouldn't know it, but I used to do work in multi-million dollar homes and saw the deliveries. Not something the "hoi polloi" can even imagine.

After almost a year of Walmart + we're very happy with it . It took us a while to learn the ins and outs but now its second nature.

It is saving us money. I can't put a number on it but I'm sure its saving us more than the $100 per year cost, but probably not by much.

So why have it ? We're using the free grocery delivery more and more. Mrs Okie loves it. Places a grocery order every Friday. We used to shop every Sunday morning now it frees that day up.

I'm still making a trip or two a week to pick up one or two items that we forget. And still buying our meat in person.

Scan and go is great. Biggest problem is Walmart employees at the self check kiosks who don't know about scan and go and hold us up. Evidently, its not widely used. We just walk up to the kiosk, scan the QR code, then show our phone to the greeter at the door, and we're gone.

I'm buying all our gasoline at Walmart , we get 5 cents a gallon off their already low price and then get 5% cash back from the Capitol One credit card .

Using the free shipping more and more. I'm finding WalMart price competitive more often. Shipping speed does not match Amazon Prime's one day delivery, but I was rarely getting that one day delivery with Prime. I like having another source than Amazon.

Which, speaking of Amazon, I dropped Prime last August and have not missed it and not paid shipping. Im just patient and putting orders together to exceed the $35 minimum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky