My 90 day free trial to Walmart + ended

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
And I cancelled it.

I got the 90 free trial due to being a YouTube Premium subscriber.

We did not save enough money nor did it provide needed services to make it worth the $100 per year.

The only savings came from 5 cents a gallon when I filled up at Walmart gas. That was not nearly enough to cover the $100 per year fee.

We did not use the free shipping. I compared Walmart with Amazon and other vendors like Home Depot when I bought something on-line. And they could not beat the prices I got elsewhere who also had free shipping.

We tried free delivery of groceries maybe 4 or 5 times. And there was either a screw up with the order or we did not like what they picked out for us , or in one case, we got broken eggs. And it would've been just as convenient to use the store pickup, if that's how we wanted to shop.

The " scan and go " is a nice idea. We love it at Sams. But it did not work as well at Walmart. First off, ya really don't save time because of time spent scanning when putting the item in the cart. Then to check out, ya still had to go to the self check area and find an open register and use Walmart Pay to scan a QR code. And then sack up your items. I dont' think we saved any time.

To use Walmart Pay, I did get their Capital One credit card that gives 5% cash back on Walmart purchases. But that can be had without being a Walmart + member.

I had thought about getting it, but not for long.
Back in pandemic days, I had ordered on-line for pickup a couple times from HD.
Both times that had parts of the order wrong.
So I couldn't see Walmart employees being any better.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
We cant trust our Walmart to even stock the shelves IN the store decently, let alone fill a pickup or delivery order properly.

When the plandemic was on, I loved the idea of making pickup and delivery so easy. But, the one time I used Walmart pickup, I did not allow substitutions. We usually buy the lesser expensive store-brand stuff or brands that are the least expensive canned goods for instance. I didn't want to risk them substituting expensive items.

My order was only 2/3 filled as a result. I had to wait for my stuff to come to my car, then go inside anyway to shop for the stuff they didn't fill, and by then, some of the store brand items were available on the shelf!

Walmart is the worst for moving items around on the shelves and locations. They just cant leave well enough alone and their app is often behind, not knowing where an item has been moved. They over-refrigerate their vegetables so the tomatoes are mushy and I swear there is an employee or bandit that goes down the chips aisle squeezing the bags so all you get are crumbs.

Scan and go at Sam's is great but I wouldn't even try it at Walmart. It's hard to find good people to work these days generally, and Walmart is a glaring example of this. There was a time when Walmart employees were happy, smart and loved helping customers...now the "Slacker disease" is affecting almost every retailer, not just Walmart.

I loved using Sam's pickup, although sometimes an item would be omitted because at the time of picking it wasn't on the shelf. The pickers wouldn't bother to check if the item was available "in the back" and just hadn't been restocked "out front". Several times after waiting for my pickup, I was able to go back in, walk that several football fields and there that item was, right on the shelf. What's the point? If you want anything done right, you have to do it yourself.

Now Sam's is charging for pickup services. I'm not paying for that. But I do like scan and go...but the "high security" upon exit still ticks me off. They have cameras monitoring the entire store, especially the check out, they know what I am entering in to the app and are watching me shop. The exit check only checks a few items, its the "illusion" of security, they know full well if someone has a cart load of unpaid-for items but make the rest of us do the hokey pokey "theater" of security.

I did not renew my free trial to Walmart + for the reasons listed above. But yesterday, I got an email from Walmart offering me one year of Walmart + for half price , $49. And I reupped at that price.

Some things are best done yourself. Just can't see anyone else doing the grocery shopping for me. Guess I'm old school but that's how I roll.

Reactions: mike243
I did not renew my free trial to Walmart + for the reasons listed above. But yesterday, I got an email from Walmart offering me one year of Walmart + for half price , $49. And I reupped at that price.
I plan on doing this when mine expires in November

I've had Walmart+ for 1-2 years. We have all our groceries delivered to our house and love it. We have had minor issues with orders/deliveries. Any issues were handled through their online chat and we were given our money back on those item(s).

Reactions: Smokin Okie
I've had Walmart+ for 1-2 years. We have all our groceries delivered to our house and love it. We have had minor issues with orders/deliveries. Any issues were handled through their online chat and we were given our money back on those item(s).

Back in Pandemic days, I used to order on-line from HomeDepot.
Only 5 or 6 times or so, but I don't think they got one order right.
That is what made me leery about WM+.

Also, I wonder if the delivery fee offsets all the impulse buying.
I've learned to stay home.
If I go shopping with wife, bill will be at least 25-30% higher.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fxsales1959
Back in Pandemic days, I used to order on-line from HomeDepot.
Only 5 or 6 rimes or so, but I don't think they got one order right.
That is what made me leery about WM+.

Also, I wonder if the delivery fee offsets all the impulse buying.
I've learned to stay home.
If I go shopping with wife, bill will be at least 25-30% higher.
My delivery fee is free since I am a member. All I do is tip my driver since they are driving pretty far and gas is expensive. The tip is well worth the money for me not to load up the kid and head the store. Money well spent imo.

Reactions: 02ebz06
And I cancelled it.

I got the 90 free trial due to being a YouTube Premium subscriber.

We did not save enough money nor did it provide needed services to make it worth the $100 per year.

The only savings came from 5 cents a gallon when I filled up at Walmart gas. That was not nearly enough to cover the $100 per year fee.

We did not use the free shipping. I compared Walmart with Amazon and other vendors like Home Depot when I bought something on-line. And they could not beat the prices I got elsewhere who also had free shipping.

We tried free delivery of groceries maybe 4 or 5 times. And there was either a screw up with the order or we did not like what they picked out for us , or in one case, we got broken eggs. And it would've been just as convenient to use the store pickup, if that's how we wanted to shop.

The " scan and go " is a nice idea. We love it at Sams. But it did not work as well at Walmart. First off, ya really don't save time because of time spent scanning when putting the item in the cart. Then to check out, ya still had to go to the self check area and find an open register and use Walmart Pay to scan a QR code. And then sack up your items. I dont' think we saved any time.

To use Walmart Pay, I did get their Capital One credit card that gives 5% cash back on Walmart purchases. But that can be had without being a Walmart + member.

never even considered it. When I DO have to go to the actual store i see who's filling orders and will not give them a list to fulfill. They can't even stock the shelves correctly. I've got amazon prime and listen to a lot of music and watch videos regularly. Wife is tgged on it so all the mind numbing S#$t she orders ships free. $15/month. freight, movies, music at premium compression.

never even considered it. When I DO have to go to the actual store i see who's filling orders and will not give them a list to fulfill. They can't even stock the shelves correctly. I've got amazon prime and listen to a lot of music and watch videos regularly. Wife is tgged on it so all the mind numbing S#$t she orders ships free. $15/month. freight, movies, music at premium compression.
I used to love th Amazon music perk. With the change to not being able to play specific songs unless you pay more for premium I don't even bother with the music anymore.

I used to love th Amazon music perk. With the change to not being able to play specific songs unless you pay more for premium I don't even bother with the music anymore.

I find the same thing with video. Everything I find to watch they charge extra for. Although, last week I did watch and Alan Jackson documentary that was free.

Oh yeah, my wife and I have gotten a lot better at using Scan and Go in Walmart , and we like it, a lot.

I said above I thought Walmart + was a value at $50 a year, as opposed to their regular price of $100 a year. And I got it at 50 and I've used it a lot, its been a good thing. I've saved some money. I like the scan and go. I've not taken advantage of the free shipping because their on-line prices are not that competitive.

But anyway, Walmart + will be on sale Black Friday for $50 annually.

I said above I thought Walmart + was a value at $50 a year, as opposed to their regular price of $100 a year. And I got it at 50 and I've used it a lot, its been a good thing. I've saved some money. I like the scan and go. I've not taken advantage of the free shipping because their on-line prices are not that competitive.

on a completely diffeent vein. I had no plans to re-up with costco. apparently somehere along the line I checked a box for auto renewals. I check my account every day, and just saw a $60.00 renewal.
pissed me off, but not enough to fight them for it.

Reactions: jcam222
Sams is auto renew and to change that, it has to be done in person or on the phone.

I suspect that's not a bad thing, altogether. Having to speak to someone gives them the opportunity to offer you a deal.

I'm a Sams + member. I've found I save enough money to pay for the extra charge over a normal membership. And there's some benefits, like free shipping, curbside pickup, and early hours ( though, I've never had anyone check if I'm a Sams+ member. I gotta think they're not gonna tell me at check out to go put my items up if I'm there early and not Sams + )

Reactions: jcam222

Same for me. I cancelled the renewal that was due this month. If they send me an offer for $50 I'll sign up again.

I just signed up at half price just for the heck of it, regardless of my original comments. I plan to keep a watch on whether it's worthwhile. Sure, having stuff shipped or delivered has a solid value but we'll be shopping in-store for some stuff regardless. I cant imagine having them select produce or even bakery breads. I bought baguettes a while back and it took me a full minute to sort through and find the better formed loaves! I rarely buy meat from Walmart because I shop the serious deals at the other grocery stores that blow Walmart's prices away, but I cant imagine letting someone else choosing my meats either.

Something I discovered with Amazon Prime early on is that free shipping was baked in to the price on many items. I haven't done it recently but I found if I went at the website from a different browser that didn't have the cookies from my membership sign-in, prices were lower than when I shopped as a Prime member. I dont even think about it much now because in many cases, their prices are lower than most other places regardless. Not with most foods though.

I am having my wife take pictures of the shelf tag of items we regularly buy at Walmart so I can do a check of whether what you see online with Plus matches the in-store shelf price. If you are paying more for the item PLUS paying for a Plus membership...that aint right. Our plan is to have non-perishable and toiletry items, etc. delivered or shipped so we dont have to traverse the whole store and can just go in for produce, etc.. In and out more quickly.

I already found bieng a Plus member doesn't save me any money on my Colombian supremo whole coffee beans. Their least expensive bulk pack of beans is 50% more than buying from Sam's club AND paying shipping. I find with Sam's, a specific quantity is a better deal too. The shipping cost is weird. 3 40oz bags of beans is actually a little less to ship than 2!

Someone mentioned the scan and go with Plus requires you to still go through self pay. That defeats the purpose. You can sometimes wait as long as a regular cashier at the self-pay at our Walmart. I still use it though, because I'm a control freak!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky