Walmart/Vizio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike243

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 25, 2018
E Tn
I have Vizio tv's and 3 of them are smart, they messed with the programing about a year ago and had a lot of complaints so switched it back, fast forward to late feb and Walmart bought them to control adds act, last night they disabled the antenna so no longer can owners get local content, I have bought 6-8 of that brand over the years but I am done and hope somebody with $$ files a class action lawsuit. These dang company's are determined to make us toe the line but got news for them I am going to stop using either of them from now on.

Give this a try. Looks like they reorganized the menu system.

RG

From 1 radio guy to another they deleted the antenna option. I have talked to them they did say there was a update last night and that their tec folks were working on it but I don't believe it lol I think if they don't get many complaints they will let it ride.

Do your TV's have Internet?
What is the "Smart" in the TV ?

I have TCL TV's with ROKU in them.
I have an antenna on the roof that comes into my Tablo 4-tuner DVR.
It connects to my network and sends local channels over the network to all of my TV's.
I can watch live or recorded from any TV.

There are other devices out there beside Tablo that provide the same functionality as the Tablo.

If you go this route, make sure that the smarts in you Visio's can install the app for the device.

What is the "Smart" in the TV ?
Smart TVs have a built in processor much like a computer.

I want to go back to the days when cable didn't need a box to operate. You could add splitters to connect multiple TVs as well as your home stereo.

Chris

My tv's have both, have had my antenna connected to all of them for a long time, it works very well until somebody disabled that function, I wouldn't think it would be legal but I'm not a lawyer lol

That bottom that sez composite use to be where antenna was, while i can scan channels and it sez 40 i can no longer select them

Attachments

• IMG_9151.jpeg
    IMG_9151.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 8
Guess what's back lol yep my channels lol

Reactions: zwiller
Smart TVs have a built in processor much like a computer.

I want to go back to the days when cable didn't need a box to operate. You could add splitters to connect multiple TVs as well as your home stereo.

Chris

Sorry, guess I phrased it wrong.
Was just wondering about the OS inside. ROKU, Google Android, Amazon Fire, etc.
Irrelevant now though, sine he has it working again.

All smart TVs use a form of android operating system except Apple TV. My favorite choice is Roku. I put Roku boxes on all my tvs. Roku has found there nitch. They have their act together on the software. Very easy to operate and inexpensive. If you want to teach Vizio or other maker a lesson get on of these. it uses a HDMI port on your TV. One cool thing is that with a registered account (no cost unless you buy a subscription) if you make a change on one set it will eventually appear on all devices in your account. So let's say I sub to Hulu, download the app and create your account/password. Hulu will eventually migrate to all your Roku devices. We liked is so much bought a Roku TV (Costco) for the new camper bedroom.

RG

One cool thing is that with a registered account (no cost unless you buy a subscription) if you make a change on one set it will eventually appear on all devices in your account. So let's say I sub to Hulu, download the app and create your account/password. Hulu will eventually migrate to all your Roku devices. We liked is so much bought a Roku TV (Costco) for the new camper bedroom.

Great info

We have 3 Roku tv's and love them, will have to see about the migration thing , I did not know this . We just love the wifi , put the tv where we want idea.

David

Glad it's working again and (puts foil hat on) I bet there were enough complaints they added it back...

I researched ALOT and finally caved on Roku. Another big Roku fan. Not easily impressed but am with these. I have half TCL Roku TVs and half hdmi boxes. All work just like the other. I actually saw a significant picture quality upgrade from my HD cable. Oh man, even did my own personal "The Quiet Man" marathon yesterday for free.

I have TONS of dvd and blu rays and would like to rip them to store somewhere but have not figured that out yet.

I have TONS of dvd and blu rays and would like to rip them to store somewhere but have not figured that out yet.
Do you have a Windoze PC ?
Free-Rip-Pro for Music CD's and MakeMKV for Movies.
Both free, but accept donations.
I would recommend buying the upgrade for Free-Rip-Pro ($20 or something).
Can rip CD's a lot faster.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky