Mustard Substitute

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One thing I wished someone told me a long time ago is to get the basics down first before debating the details. Stable and accurate temps, TBS, and an accurate way to test IT. That's 80% of the smoke.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
I just use SPG or whatever spice I want - rarely ever use mustard. But I do agree the mayo option would do the same.

I use Mayo on salmon all the time... It keeps the fish moist and adds zero flavor... Mayo is eggs, oil, and an acid like lemon juice... Perfect for salmon...
Try it once... you've probably put everything else on meat, not giving it a second thought... Put it on very thin, just enough to hold any seasonings you prefer... Bake or grill JUST until you see the white fat START to rise through the meat flakes and STOP COOKING.... That fat is full of flavor and Omega 3 fatty acids... VERY heart healthy...

Reactions: mike5051
"Almost every rib recipe I see calls for yellow mustard,"

Mine doesn't. In fact mine doesn't even begin with seasonings.

Mine begins with bare Baby Backs, bones down, on the grill. 7-10 minutes later I turn. If the meat is cookin yet, I begin to paint the ribs. But I like to wait for the second time the bones roll over.
My "Paint" is Sweet Baby Rays with my own home made rub, or Seasonings, added and a glob of Sage Honey.
So, the seasoning isn't a rub, it's my rub in a sauce carrier with honey as a glaze. I mix it in a seal-able glass bowl and like to let it marry in the fridge for an hour, or days on end, then bring my bucket of paint to the Que with my long handled silicone brush.

I say paint, because I put thin layers of my doctored sauce on and cook them onto the racks of ribs.

And I've been warned NOT to mess with my ribs. :confused::(o_O

I'll say this, after one of my heart attacks, Doc made me start rubbing down skinless chicken with mayo before grilling. I was really pleasantly surprised. It was about the only thing I'd eat for 6 months. Seriously, I swear cholesterol is were all the flavor is. That mayo made the chicken plump and juicy and you didn't taste it.

Course you always boil your ribs before smoking them anyway right?

Reactions: mike5051
I use Mayo on salmon all the time... It keeps the fish moist and adds zero flavor... Mayo is eggs, oil, and an acid like lemon juice... Perfect for salmon...
Try it once... you've probably put everything else on meat, not giving it a second thought... Put it on very thin, just enough to hold any seasonings you prefer... Bake or grill JUST until you see the white fat START to rise through the meat flakes and STOP COOKING.... That fat is full of flavor and Omega 3 fatty acids... VERY heart healthy...
That sounds great Dave!

I'll say this, after one of my heart attacks, Doc made me start rubbing down skinless chicken with mayo before grilling. I was really pleasantly surprised. It was about the only thing I'd eat for 6 months. Seriously, I swear cholesterol is were all the flavor is. That mayo made the chicken plump and juicy and you didn't taste it.

Course you always boil your ribs before smoking them anyway right?
Doesn't everybody? LOL! o_O

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky