Mustard Substitute

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

garys12

Original poster
Jul 4, 2016
Almost every rib recipe I see calls for yellow mustard, which I just refuse to use. In the past, I have used olive oil as a substituion. Anyone have any other ideas instead of mustard.

Is it all mustards or just yellow you don't like? I am not a fan of yellow but use dijon quite often or my own homemade. They taste much better than any yellow I've ever had.

Thanks everyone, I think I’ll stick with oil. Mayo??? Really? I think I’ll put mayo in the mustard category and pass. Lol!

I've never tasted the difference. I sometimes remember to use yellow mustard on my ribs, and sometimes not. After smoking for 4-5 hrs, it all tastes good.

Mike

Reactions: phatbac
Thanks everyone, I think I’ll stick with oil. Mayo??? Really? I think I’ll put mayo in the mustard category and pass. Lol!

Really.
Compliments of Google:
What are the ingredients found in Duke's Mayonnaise? Soybean oil,eggs, water, distilled and cider vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, naturalflavors, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.
Oil
Eggs
Vinegars
Salt
Paprika

Too crazy?

Are you just looking for something to get the rub to stick? This may sound a bit off the wall but I have a friend that uses yogurt on his chicken to get the rub to stick. Not egg and oil based like mayo. Definitely not mustard. Sounds a little wierd but tastes fantastic. Kind of Mediterranean. Never had it on ribs though.

I have never had the mustard add a taste to the meat ,,,
Now days I use brown sugar on butts and ribs . Pack it on , it melts in 10 or 15 minutes . Then add the rub .

One guy did 4 butts and compared the various options and found no real difference. I have never had an issue with a rub needing any help to stick to the meat. Lately, I am focusing on getting the exterior well dried for bark development and adding any moisture is the last think I want. With ribs, I find finishing them on the grill the key and imagine that would make a larger impact than rub adhesive.

Am I the only one using light brown sugar in my rib rub? You'd have to scrap the spices off.

I usually season the night before, then wrap in plastic and allow to set over night sometimes two. Then just before I put on the grill I re-rub with the rub with some light brown sugar added. It liquefies, then crystallizes on the grill. Its almost like a thin candy shell holding moisture in, but you can't taste it. BUT you must be low and slow and watch for burning.

For poultry i use Pam spray canola oil. works great on rub adherence and getting the skin (or skinless in some situations) to get crispy and a really nice golden color. on ribs i use yellow mustard because it is so cheap and i never taste it. i use a little bit (few drops per side) after 5 hours on the smoker, rubs, foiling juice(whatever you use) and sauce, anyone who says they taste the mustard is either fooling themselves or is using way way too much! but oils of some kind will work fine or Al's right wet ribs will have the rub stick pretty good too.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Am I the only one using light brown sugar in my rib rub? You'd have to scrap the spices off.

I usually season the night before, then wrap in plastic and allow to set over night sometimes two. Then just before I put on the grill I re-rub with the rub with some light brown sugar added. It liquefies, then crystallizes on the grill. Its almost like a thin candy shell holding moisture in, but you can't taste it. BUT you must be low and slow and watch for burning.

Add me to the light brown sugar group for ribs, butts and chicken. I mix up a universal batch and put on all.

Barry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky