Mushroom hunters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I wished we lived in prime mushroom territory in Minnesota.
Morels, Periwinkle, and Puffballs are common in the wooded areas, but I live in the prairie.
Chaga is harvested in many areas of the wooded side of the state.

When I lived in Washington state the somewhat popular mushroom was Liberty Cap.

I don't, but know plenty of morel hunters in the area ....... especially up in the mountains to the east. They have a mountain mushroom festival every spring up there.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I don't, but know plenty of morel hunters in the area ....... especially up in the mountains to the east. They have a mountain mushroom festival every spring up there.
I’ve never eaten a morel, but always wanted to try them. Found some dehydrated ones the other day. Didn’t think about it, just grabbed a couple packages. They were .65 Oz. Each. Then when we got to the check out, these packages were 25 bucks a piece. I bought them because I really want to try them, but really, 25 bucks for .65Oz? They better be better than excellent.

Reactions: DougE
They are finding morels here and in Ky , morels have a fish type flavor to me but been 55 years or so since I ate any,

EB969FD9-FA22-40F3-AC9D-F0D15252685E.png
I’m researching best spots

When I lived in the Seattle area I got connected with a family that had regular Dungeness crabbing expeditions. There is nothing finer than an omelet with farm fresh eggs, fresh Morels, Dungeness crab meat and Tillamook cheese.

Psilocybin Mushrooms here...
That would be a Liberty Cap out west. Appears no one got the connection.

Reactions: PPG1 and SmokinEdge
I’ve never eaten a morel, but always wanted to try them. Found some dehydrated ones the other day. Didn’t think about it, just grabbed a couple packages. They were .65 Oz. Each. Then when we got to the check out, these packages were 25 bucks a piece. I bought them because I really want to try them, but really, 25 bucks for .65Oz? They better be better than excellent.
Never had dehydrated morels. All I have had is fresh. The preferred way to eat them is battered and deep fried around here.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Never had dehydrated morels. All I have had is fresh. The preferred way to eat them is battered and deep fried around here.
Still haven’t tried them. They say they do grow around here on the river bottom, but again I’ve never even seen a live one. We have a bunch of shaggy mane though, those are delicious but come on in the fall around September.

I’ve hunted morels off and on for years. Overall I suck at it lol. Before my father in law passed we hunted a spot that yielded a few in a specific area. Walked that woods for days last year and couldn’t find the well cover that marked the spot. They are so damn delicious. They sell for $80 a lbs around here at after markets. I do hope to get out this weekend and grab some ramps for salad, some sauté and a big big batch of ramp butter. This fall I plan on trying to find golden oyster mushrooms. Apparently tons around me.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
All the oyster mushrooms you want when the weather is right. We have 3 sub species, the pure white, golden, and brown. The whites are the most fragrant with a delicate flavor. Goldens are not as fragrant, but more buttery flavor. The browns are more earthy; like a Portabello mushroom. Hit some Chantrelles on occasion in late summer/fall. Those are delicious! Hen of the woods is common as well...

Reactions: jcam222
People find different kinds around here. I can't find any. Guess I need to walk in the woods.

Reactions: smokin peachey
People find different kinds around here. I can't find any. Guess I need to walk in the woods.
I swear some people just have a nose for them. I know people that go out on a good day and get 500+ morels. If I get 10 I’m thrilled.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky