Mom’s “Mexican Casserole”

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
JLeonard JLeonard ... "PLEASE" thank your mom for me.... OMG... That was delicious ...

Hope you don't mind if I post a few pics on your thread...

IMG_20240430_183459.jpg

IMG_20240430_183911.jpg

IMG_20240430_183916.jpg

I believe this is going to be put in the dinner rotation...

I added a little water in the hamburger when I added the stewed tomatoes and chili seasoning as there wasn't enough liquid from the tomatoes...

I think I will change a few things next time and see how it goes...
Instead of the stewed tomatoes, I'm thinking Rotel since I can't find the fiesta cheese soup...
And then substitute Taco seasoning for the chili seasoning...
Also thinking of putting refried black beans in the hamburger after it gets done simmering with the rotel and seasoning... I also do this when I make tacos...

Again... Thanks for posting this as it really is pretty damn good... Everybody liked it...

To all of you that's thinking about making it... I suggest you do...

JLeonard JLeonard ... "PLEASE" thank your mom for me.... OMG... That was delicious ...

Hope you don't mind if I post a few pics on your thread...

View attachment 695795

View attachment 695796

View attachment 695797

I believe this is going to be put in the dinner rotation...

I added a little water in the hamburger when I added the stewed tomatoes and chili seasoning as there wasn't enough liquid from the tomatoes...

I think I will change a few things next time and see how it goes...
Instead of the stewed tomatoes, I'm thinking Rotel since I can't find the fiesta cheese soup...
And then substitute Taco seasoning for the chili seasoning...
Also thinking of putting refried black beans in the hamburger after it gets done simmering with the rotel and seasoning... I also do this when I make tacos...

Again... Thanks for posting this as it really is pretty damn good... Everybody liked it...

To all of you that's thinking about making it... I suggest you do...
Oh man that looks great! Granted, I just had it saturday, But I'd belly up to a plate or two of yours! I'm glad you and yours liked it. And your changes in the recipe may be some of the changes I make next time. I like your ideas. I've always felt that a recipe was a guideline. I make it the first time following that and then think about what I'd change to make it mine.

Jim

Mom turns 76 on Monday. I did a brisket last month for dad’s 76th. Was talking to my brother the day and was discussing what to do for moms b-day. He said she has been talking about her Mexican casserole she used to make all the time, but it had gotten to where she couldn’t do it anymore. I said, no worries i got this…Got her to send me a pic of her 40 yr old recipe card.
View attachment 695486
Gathered my supplies….
View attachment 695487
And ended up making a double batch since my cousin and his wife (also her birthday) were down visiting. Followed the recipe card and just doubled everything.
View attachment 695488
Ready to go in the oven.
View attachment 695489
Out of the oven…
View attachment 695490
The innards. oh, that is a aluminum serving pan like the restaraunts use for catering..It’s huge! Almost didn’t fit in the oven.
and a plated shot…
View attachment 695491
Yeah, i ate two plates!
@bmudd14474 count this as my pop up submission!

Thanks for looking.
Jim
Nice work, I would be all over it!

Reactions: JLeonard
Mom turns 76 on Monday. I did a brisket last month for dad’s 76th. Was talking to my brother the day and was discussing what to do for moms b-day. He said she has been talking about her Mexican casserole she used to make all the time, but it had gotten to where she couldn’t do it anymore. I said, no worries i got this…Got her to send me a pic of her 40 yr old recipe card.
View attachment 695486
Gathered my supplies….
View attachment 695487
And ended up making a double batch since my cousin and his wife (also her birthday) were down visiting. Followed the recipe card and just doubled everything.
View attachment 695488
Ready to go in the oven.
View attachment 695489
Out of the oven…
View attachment 695490
The innards. oh, that is a aluminum serving pan like the restaraunts use for catering..It’s huge! Almost didn’t fit in the oven.
and a plated shot…
View attachment 695491
Yeah, i ate two plates!
@bmudd14474 count this as my pop up submission!

Thanks for looking.
Jim
Looks awesome brother

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky