Masterbuilt smoker vent position?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't care what anyone has said, i know there has been some negative comments on the mod but personally I love it. The idea of a self basting bird or roast while it is smoking is brilliant. Thanks for posting this, I love creativity

I certainly don't know much about the 30" Masterbuilt Electric Smoker since I just got it for Christmas and I'm in a very cold North Dakota, but on page 3 of my manual on the page labeled "Lets Get Started" it DOES say to CLOSE the air damper on the top of the unite to retain moisture and heat" Then it continues about opening it for foods such as fish or jerky.  I am thinking that the air damper and vent are likely the same thing.  Again, I'm not trying to start an argument, but it does appear the manual does address opening and closing of the vent on top. They just gave it a different name.
Hi, I am sorry it's finely cold in your neck of the woods. I won't talk about the steady migration of NorthDakotanians to the South west. Let's talk about the writer of the Manual. That person had very little or no time using it. They were clueless about smoking on it. Bear uses the safety side of the manual and not the user side of it.

You have just joined and may not know it but he is a authority in the uses of MB Smokers. He will not lead you wrong. 

After several smokes of the normal meats you will know more about or have more experience than the Author of the manual or most of the CSR's at the call  center. Don't get me wrong the service they give is first rate but that is what MB wants. They just don't have the smoking time you will have.  The point I am making is that the Manual is wrong. 

Now I will give you my Opinions about the smoker. 

Keep the top vent open when smoking.

Don't wet your chips. 

Don't put water in your water pan .

Put foil on it and use it as a heat deflector. That is what it does best.

Don't try to pre determine when large cuts of meat will be done. You will be disappointed. 

Burn a bag of chips and learn your smoker then you will call Todd Johnson for a Amaz-n  pellet tray .

Just my opinions and you will have your own soon.        Jted

Reactions: bdskelly
My vent is closed only when the unit is turned off in order to keep the critters out.  Other than that it is wide open...

Confession... I always turn my chip hopper counter clockwise just to be a rebel.  

th_HaHAAHaa.gif

The manual will also tell you to soak your chips, but anybody who uses an MES for awhile learns that's not a good idea. Same thing with water in the Pan (Bad idea).

There is a lot more guys on here who know much more than those who wrote the MES manual.

I keep my top vent open all the way at all times, except when it's Windy (Half-way), or when I'm preheating, or done smoking (closed)----And when not in use (closed).

For safety things, I listen to the manual, but for "How-to-use", I'll go with experienced Owner/users.

Bear
I can concur with this & follow these rules to the T!!!  I would recommend everyone doing the same!!! 

I've commented on this before, the MES smoker does not give you much of a bark, especially if you are trying to go low and slow.it simply doesn't allow for good air flow, the vent is inadequate and as there is no bottom vents you can't manage humidity. I use mine at nearly commercial volume. Don't get me wrong, I the MES unit has it's uses and i am not disappointed with it, I simply understand it's limitations. I suggest you use pellets and go with a dry drip pan. I've supplied my restaurant with incredibly delicious hot smoked hams for several years. It's simply about knowing the equipments limitations.
Happy smoking!
But you need to accept the MES for what it is: a relatively inexpensive way to smoke meats in an electric smoker in your backyard (or wherever it's placed). It will never produce a product along the line of pro wood-fired offset rigs or the expensive electrics. But I disagree about not getting much of a bark. I've done it and I believe other smokers--like my friend Bearcarver--have achieved it as well. It takes a bit of work and skill but it's not that difficult unless you keep a beef brisket or pork ribs foiled too long.

But you need to accept the MES for what it is: a relatively inexpensive way to smoke meats in an electric smoker in your backyard (or wherever it's placed). It will never produce a product along the line of pro wood-fired offset rigs or the expensive electrics. But I disagree about not getting much of a bark. I've done it and I believe other smokers--like my friend Bearcarver--have achieved it as well. It takes a bit of work and skill but it's not that difficult unless you keep a beef brisket or pork ribs foiled too long.
I've been getting great bark because of not covering food on my last Autumn smokes. Also a full smoker may be more difficult with the humidity from a lot of meat. I've only used two racks of food at once so far.
-Kurt

I'm very new to smoking, and I've learned a ton here in this forum.  I figure I'll share my few experiences.  So far, no AMPNS, although I'm pretty certain I'll buy one, for the convenience if nothing else.

I've smoked several times since getting my 20070311 unit just before Thanksgiving.  All have gone great, but I did have two fires this past weekend.  When I examined the chip pan, I found that it has only one screw in it (should be four) and so the right side is drooping down.  I folded some aluminum foil several times to get a height to match the left side and inserted the foil to help hold up the right side.  I also added a screw in the back left side (can't access the right side screw holes).

I also closed the vent this time while adding chips.  I let the chips get going, then later opened the vent.  No fire!  I think the key for me is to reduce air flow while starting the chips, and then open the vent later.

I never add water to the pan, but every single thing I've smoked has come out tender and juicy.  I don't think you need to add moisture.  In fact, as people here have said, it'll work against you.  I liked Foamheart's comment about the vent and loader, with relation to chips or pellets.

I've smoked two hams.  The first one was good, the second one was superb and had some bark.  I've smoked wings several times, chicken several times, brisket once (want to do that more), and a few salmon.  I really want to smoke a pork butt.  I also need to learn to take photos of my smokes!!

This is one of the most fun hobbies I've taken up, and my whole family enjoys it, LOL!  Lots of experience on this forum, and yeah, they may go contrary to the manual at times, but they're artists learning to use and share their knowledge.  I'm one of those guys who wants to learn more and learn "why" I do something or why the smoker does something, in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, I can have a repeatable process!  :-)

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

I'm very new to smoking, and I've learned a ton here in this forum.  I figure I'll share my few experiences.  So far, no AMPNS, although I'm pretty certain I'll buy one, for the convenience if nothing else.

I've smoked several times since getting my 20070311 unit just before Thanksgiving.  All have gone great, but I did have two fires this past weekend.  When I examined the chip pan, I found that it has only one screw in it (should be four) and so the right side is drooping down.  I folded some aluminum foil several times to get a height to match the left side and inserted the foil to help hold up the right side.  I also added a screw in the back left side (can't access the right side screw holes).

I also closed the vent this time while adding chips.  I let the chips get going, then later opened the vent.  No fire!  I think the key for me is to reduce air flow while starting the chips, and then open the vent later.

I never add water to the pan, but every single thing I've smoked has come out tender and juicy.  I don't think you need to add moisture.  In fact, as people here have said, it'll work against you.  I liked Foamheart's comment about the vent and loader, with relation to chips or pellets.

I've smoked two hams.  The first one was good, the second one was superb and had some bark.  I've smoked wings several times, chicken several times, brisket once (want to do that more), and a few salmon.  I really want to smoke a pork butt.  I also need to learn to take photos of my smokes!!

This is one of the most fun hobbies I've taken up, and my whole family enjoys it, LOL!  Lots of experience on this forum, and yeah, they may go contrary to the manual at times, but they're artists learning to use and share their knowledge.  I'm one of those guys who wants to learn more and learn "why" I do something or why the smoker does something, in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, I can have a repeatable process!  :-)

Good luck and have fun!
Great Post !!!

You've been doing real good!!

On those screws on the right that you can't access----Can't you remove the whole assembly from the right wall with the screws around that ring (3 if I remember correctly).

Then you can remove the assembly, put in the missing screws, and re-install ???

Been awhile since I looked, but I remember when I swapped out "Chip burning assemblies" in that manner---Only took a couple minutes.

Bear

Great Post !!!

You've been doing real good!!

On those screws on the right that you can't access----Can't you remove the whole assembly from the right wall with the screws around that ring (3 if I remember correctly).

Then you can remove the assembly, put in the missing screws, and re-install ???

Been awhile since I looked, but I remember when I swapped out "Chip burning assemblies" in that manner---Only took a couple minutes.

Bear
I'll bet you're right!  I'll look this week, thanks.  That would be good.

Man, there's so much with this hobby!  We're trying different rubs, different woods, etc.  And of course, I haven't been keeping a log :-( so now I'll have to redo some of the smokes.

For the ham that turned out great, I followed a recipe I found online (http://howtobbqright.com/smokeaholidayham.html).  The key the second time was remembering to open up the foil for that last hour (doh!).  Man, between the wood, the brown sugar, pineapple juice, and dijon mustard, the ham was a huge hit!

I'll bet you're right!  I'll look this week, thanks.  That would be good.

Man, there's so much with this hobby!  We're trying different rubs, different woods, etc.  And of course, I haven't been keeping a log :-( so now I'll have to redo some of the smokes.

For the ham that turned out great, I followed a recipe I found online (http://howtobbqright.com/smokeaholidayham.html).  The key the second time was remembering to open up the foil for that last hour (doh!).  Man, between the wood, the brown sugar, pineapple juice, and dijon mustard, the ham was a huge hit!
Cool---Sounds like you had fun & it tasted Great !!

Here's one that might be easier & it's Great too.

Double Smoked Ham   

Bear

I've been getting great bark because of not covering food on my last Autumn smokes. Also a full smoker may be more difficult with the humidity from a lot of meat. I've only used two racks of food at once so far.
-Kurt
You further strengthen my resolve to go foil-free this year. The only time I cook on 3 racks is when I get a 3-pak of baby back or St. Louis ribs from Costco. Or when I cold smoke cheese.

What ever works for some one is fine with me but I have to note that I had reason to call Masterbuilt customer service several days ago relating to another subject and since I have been following the thread I asked about the vent.

The answer was that it is pretty much what ever gives you the results you want which works for me. HOWEVER, the CS person was quite clear in stating that unless you are cold smoking the vent should never be fully closed. The moisture build up would be too great and lead to corrosion/electrical problems and mold.

MikeG

What ever works for some one is fine with me but I have to note that I had reason to call Masterbuilt customer service several days ago relating to another subject and since I have been following the thread I asked about the vent.

The answer was that it is pretty much what ever gives you the results you want which works for me. HOWEVER, the CS person was quite clear in stating that unless you are cold smoking the vent should never be fully closed. The moisture build up would be too great and lead to corrosion/electrical problems and mold.

MikeG
My experience with cold smoking in my MES 30 Gen 1 has been that lack of airflow is a big problem for keeping the wood pellets (I use the AMNPS with wood pellets for both hot and cold smoking) lit. I keep the top vent wide open for all smoking. I tried fully closing the top vent and even trying it half-closed for cold smokes with the thought of keeping the smoke inside the MES. The pellets went out. I've developed a couple of workarounds for cold smoking to make sure the pellets stay lit. However, I get more than enough smoke with the top vent fully open when cold smoking cheeses and salmon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky