Marks From Grate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xjcamaro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Western PA
Hey guys, I have the usual chrome plated grates in my MES. Anytime i smoke something that has cute in it, snack sticks, bacon, etc. I get marks on my meat where it touches the grate, the color tends to be dark green to black. Its not the entire length , just in spots.

It's almost like the cure is reacting with parts of the metal and it makes the spots. I just cut the spots out because it doesn't go deep, but just wanted to see if anyone else had anything like that?

And along those lines, does anyone make stainless grates for the MES smokers?
20200202_115159.jpg

what do use to generate smoke, I don't know but maybe it's just creosote. i'm sure others will chime in soon

When doing snack sticks I let the smoker produce the smoke. When I do bacon it's a cold smoke, I use a tin can filled with wood chips and a soldering iron.

I even put a piece of wax paper between the grate and the bacon this go round so there wouldn't be any direct contact but it made it through.

ok, i'm just thinking it's creosote along with moisture collecting on the grates and getting on your meat. again i'm no pro so I could be wrong. I have a mes also and do get marks from the grates I just assumed this was what it is from. will be interesting to see some of the other answers.

HxNRhuX.jpg

You could always use disposable grill grates, I buy these at WalMart and get plenty of uses out of them. They are aluminum and you can trim to fit smaller smokers.
UAXlToT.jpg

The next choice would be stainless steel cooling racks, I use these for competition cooking or anytime I don't want to risk my regular grates staining food. You need to buy a good quality stainless, like Grade 304.
gtlQqjY.jpg

Reactions: xjcamaro
The right answer is hang the sticks and bacon
Richie

also make sure you run your smoker with top vent wide open, and I wouldn't add a water to your pan,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky