Making Black Garlic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Guess this post will go here.

Got the proofer cleaned and set temp to 140*

Wrapping the garlic bulbs tight in foil.
IMG_5243.jpg

Place in pot, put some foil around pot and put the lid on.
IMG_5244.jpg

The garlic will be 7 weeks at 140* Top will be on the proofer.
We can smell the garlic now even.
IMG_5245.jpg

You got my attention on this one earlier when I was viewing on the phone and limited to multitask.
Never heard of black garlic so did some searching on the process.
Will the foil wrapped heads and semi sealed pot hold the humidity?
What's your plans for the end product?

You got my attention on this one earlier when I was viewing on the phone and limited to multitask.
Never heard of black garlic so did some searching on the process.
Will the foil wrapped heads and semi sealed pot hold the humidity?
What's your plans for the end product?
On the website they dont say anything about humidity. I'm going to do the black garlic butter spread.....Might do what kinda said and make some black garlic salumi.

On the website they dont say anything about humidity. I'm going to do the black garlic butter spread.....Might do what kinda said and make some black garlic salumi.
I love butter made from elephant garlic. That is simply roasting a garlic head wrapped in foil.

Everything I read on black garlic called it a controlled heat and humidity process to produce the Maillard reaction (transformation).

I really hope the foil wrapping and pot container does the trick

I strongly suggest moving that to the porch, unless you really, really like the smell of garlic for two months. It gets crazy strong.

I got the cheapest rice cooker I could find (one with no safety features like auto-off), packed it full, and put it on the back porch for a month. The neighbors could all smell it by week two...

1697474456889.png

1697474475993.png

1697474489037.png

Just planting the ideas in my head. You all rock. I'm chomping at the bit with 4 types of hardneck in the mail and 2 new raised beds primed and ready. Gonna put black garlic on the short list along with hot sauces for the garlic/pepper combo verities.

Reactions: jcam222
I strongly suggest moving that to the porch, unless you really, really like the smell of garlic for two months. It gets crazy strong.

I got the cheapest rice cooker I could find (one with no safety features like auto-off), packed it full, and put it on the back porch for a month. The neighbors could all smell it by week two...

View attachment 678667
View attachment 678668
View attachment 678669
how do you store it? and how long does it stay fresh?

Vac seal in packs of 8 or so cloves and freeze. It keeps forever.

IMG_5260.JPG
Naaa.
Not keeping my proofer outside.

I dont have any close neighbors...DO'H

My chickens are still dropping lots of cackle berries

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky