Making Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swampsmoker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 26, 2016
hey y’all.

About to make some bacon and got to thinking. Does it matter what kind of water I use for pops brine? Last time I think I used water from the faucet and maybe used spring water the time before. Guess I’m second guessing myself for some reason.

Thanks
Danny

I only made bacon once, came out great wit city chlorinated tap water.
However, I got away from that and in anything I do wit my meats, I use distilled water, at the very least, well or store bought spring.
But you should be fine in my opinion.

That is a good question, I have not thought of the differences. I am in the country and on a well that has really good water, So it has never entered my thoughts before. A comparison is a great idea. I wonder ????

I would do a dry rub. I’ve done both and the wife and daughter like the dry rub the best. So guess who won lol. Both are good.

I would do a dry rub with tender quick but I don’t have a good scale to get the right amount of TQ. I got a lil over 10lbs slab from Costco. I have a gallon of distilled set a side for my ferments n such Ill use as I got a slab of loin for canadian bacon. Might as well cure em together

Personally I would use distilled water, although I use a dry rub for my bacon!
Al

I will have to invest in a good scale as I want to try your lox recipe soon. It’s nice and cool in north east FL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky