Maiden voyage with ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

holabr

Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Just got a new MES 30 gen 1 for Christmas.  I seasoned it as instructed.  I am planning to christen it with some ribs but am a little confused about the water pan.  I was thinking of 50/50 water and apple juice.  Am I on the right track.  I want to keep it simple the first time.  Also do I keep the vent open or closed?  Went do you open it or close it?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to SMF! Glad to have you with us. First as to the vent question. Always have the exhaust vent wide open. Make necesary adjustments with the intake vents. As for the water pan, there is no hard and fast rule. Some people use a 50/50 mix as you have said. Some use no liquid. You will have to experiment and see what you like. Adding liquid will reduce' bark' formation. I hope you are planning on many smokes!Remember, if you like the outcome, you did it right.

Mike

Thanks for the reply.  I don't see a bottom vent on the MES Digital Electric.  Am I missing something?

Your not missing anything. The 30" MES only has the exhaust vent on the top. I have the same smoker. I do suggest you get a Maverick digital thermometer as normally the temp gage on the smoker usually isnt correct.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky