refrigerator went toes up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am going to order a 3 pack of knockoffs and remove the label from the oem and wrap on replacements. I hear the rfid is on the underside of the labels on the OEM.
I think it would be easier to try and bypass the RFID circuit. The RFID on the filter is going to be wafer thin and easily damaged.
Apparently it doesn't violate the Magnuson-Moss Act to lock you into a GE filter?

If you use a Reverse Osmosis system that's hooked to the fridge... The fridge filter can be discarded....
Or just leave the existing filter in place and never replace it.

My Maytag fridge in MN doesn't have the onboard filter BS. I added an inline filter to the water supply of the icemaker. It has a 10 year lifespan. I think I need to replace it this year.

I think it would be easier to try and bypass the RFID circuit. The RFID on the filter is going to be wafer thin and easily damaged.
Apparently it doesn't violate the Magnuson-Moss Act to lock you into a GE filter?

Or just leave the existing filter in place and never replace it.

My Maytag fridge in MN doesn't have the onboard filter BS. I added an inline filter to the water supply of the icemaker. It has a 10 year lifespan. I think I need to replace it this year.
There is a special plug you can put in place of the filter if you don’t wanna use it. We drink a ton of water so we buy about 3 filters a year. Fridge still works when filter expires.

If you use a Reverse Osmosis system that's hooked to the fridge... The fridge filter can be discarded....
Wrong and when it sez to change the filter it shuts the water off to dispenser and ice maker. there is no legal or easy way to bypass these new ge filters. good luck.

Reactions: Fueling Around
My whirlpool does not have the onboard filter in it... It says to take it out when hooked to RO ... Not enough water pressure from the RO to push the water through the on board filter... When the light comes on to reset the filter, that's what I do... been working for years that way ...

The bypass plug has a rfid on them also so a set amount of water can be used and then it shuts the system down.

My whirlpool does not have the onboard filter in it... It says to take it out when hooked to RO ... Not enough water pressure from the RO to push the water through the on board filter... When the light comes on to reset the filter, that's what I do... been working for years that way ...
Most of the revosmo only put out 20lbs of pressure, the unit requires 30lbs at least,you can get by with it but at some point it will break something or wad up the icemaker.

You can unplug the unit and when you plug it back up you might get 5-10 seconds of water lol. I see them getting sued at some point but not sure it can be beat, by law these filter company's can't make them exactly the same due to patents, sometimes they will work other times they won't

Ge is a pain to get authorization and long wait time for tec assistance, they don't put any tec sheets in the unit, info on new units is very slim on the net.

There is a special plug you can put in place of the filter if you don’t wanna use it. We drink a ton of water so we buy about 3 filters a year. Fridge still works when filter expires.
Blank plug! That's how they get around the Magnuson-Moss Act.
We drink a lot of water too.
I just priced an inline filter and #$%& those have doubled in price.
Here in FL the filter is free replacement as part of apartment lease. Wife does most of her coffee, tea and drinking water from the fridge spigot. My drinking water comes through a Brita pitcher. I think the Brita does a better job.

You can unplug the unit and when you plug it back up you might get 5-10 seconds of water lol. I see them getting sued at some point but not sure it can be beat, by law these filter company's can't make them exactly the same due to patents, sometimes they will work other times they won't
Magnuson-Moss Act in simple terms says the OEM MUST supply parts at free of charge if no after market parts are available. They may dodge if the after market don't meet their exact requirements. It sounds as the filter may be up for a class action. There must be an appliance chaser lawyer up for the money?

Thanks Mike, I was hoping you would reply.

Bottom line, I learned to avoid GE appliances almost 30 years ago from an appliance parts company in Seattle. They only sold appliance parts, but they knew their stuff and said avoid GE due to the ripoff on parts. I also got better repair advice from them than the repair shops.
Here's a good one. Squirrel cage failed on Admiral dryer (Maycorp). I walked in the door with cage in hand. By the time I got to the sales counter, the parts lady had the repair kit on the counter waiting for me. I learned the whoop whoop sound was pretty common.

I've met a lot of mad Ge customers who didn't know the filter deal. Ge sold out to a Korean company 4-6 years ago, a lot has changed since then, if a unit was over 1 year old they didn't want to talk to us to help trouble shoot. I have no use for anything GE

Wrong and when it sez to change the filter it shuts the water off to dispenser and ice maker. there is no legal or easy way to bypass these new ge filters. good luck.
It does not stop the flow of water at all. I’ve gone 90 days past due and worked fine. However it does change the taste of the water

I think you are wrong on the Magnuson-Moss Act, they can't void your warranty by using aftermarket parts, there would be a lot of company's would go out of business if they gave free parts, if your appliance is damaged by the aftermarket part it wont be covered.

Jake the units started this about 3 years or so ago how old is your unit? I would bet it was before they started it, I only done it for a living since 1998.

Be aware fxsales1959 fxsales1959 as I just found out, this new fridge's water filter now has a rfid chip under the label. If you buy an aftermarket filter the fridge will not dispense water! I am going to see about finding it on the old one and apply to an aftermarket one. Total BS
:emoji_angry:
yup. when they added the E to the WFX filter that was the chip. we're very lucky that our city water is very good. less than 30PPM dissolved solids out out the spigot. We also have a zero water pitcher for the bird and one plant that doesn't like city water. When the filter shits I'll decide $50 or F it. we don't buy bottled water unless going camping.

I have no use for anything GE
I just bought a new freestanding electric range , I had an 18 year old GE . Figured if it lasted 18 years I'd get one again .
Ge sold out to a Korean company
After seeing that I'm glad I didn't . Ended up with a Whirlpool . Says assembled in the USA at least .

Bad thing about any of them they will say made in USA but all the parts are made in other country and assembled here, we really shot our self's in the foot shipping all our production out of the USA.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky