LONG POST: Chuck, Saucy and friends.....the adventure begins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirt guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Oklahoma
Let me preface this by saying it has ended up being the most challenging smoke I've done to date. It was a real struggle to keep the temps correct because of the rain showers and trying to keep the temp at 225. Lump coal would be a much better fuel source for the conditions present.

I was never really able to achieve TBS due to the fact I was always having to add wood to keep the temps up. In fairness, I knew this wasn't really having to meet "presentation quality" due to the menu. It is going to be chopped up for bbq sandwiches anyway. The trick was to keep too much smoke from hitting it and making the meat bitter. I achieved this with the turkey breast, but have not tasted the beef or pork yet to know how it turned out.

For those of you that met Chuck, you know what is about to follow. For the others, Chuck is a 26.5 lb beef shoulder that was drafted to make bbq sandwiches for a wrestling team banquet this Thursday. Since there is plenty of room on the grill, I added a few of Chuck's aquaintances to the party. Here are the players in this wonderful, smoky adventure:

Chuck, Tom, the turkey breast, and the Pork Brothers--conjoined twin pork loins Larry, and Darrel. Larry and Darrel will be surgically separated before finding their way to the fire. Larry and Darrel are also joined by bacon and hot links for the fun.
383918485.jpg

The spices:
383918504.jpg

Old Bay, Garlic salt, black pepper, Grill Mate Burger Blend, butter and creole seasoning (for the turkey)

My Q-view gets a bit messed up after this. I had two visitors to the shop and the rain storm we are getting is longer and more intense than forecast. With the rain, I didn't take as many picks on the smoker.

Chuck, rubbed down and then placed on the grill.
383918498.jpg

383922833.jpg

The turkey was injected with a stick of butter, blended with the creole seasoning. I had one of two visitors at the shop during preparation, so no pics were taken until the bird was removed from the grill. Evidently, I forgot to upload the picture of the breast when I pulled it. I've since deleted all the pics on my card. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow when we reheat it and eat it for supper.

Chuck was injected with a mixture of two sticks of Blue Bonnet margarine, olive oil, garlic powder, and pepper. He was also basted about four times with olive oil and pepper.

My second visitor was present when prepping the pork-u-pines. One was an experimental model with two sticks each of pepper jack cheese and marble jack cheese stuffed inside with the hot link. Both were covered in a blanket of bacon. Once again, the cheese has tried to run out of the incision, but the bacon did help it stay in better this time. When I try it again, I will leave the loin longer and either tie the loin closed or use skewers to try and keep the end sealed. Here they are joining chuck on the grill.

383918489.jpg

Chuck has just reached an internal temp of 145 degrees. I have wrapped him in foil and will take him all the way to 190 before taking him out to rest before placing him in the roaster with Saucy.

Edit: Clouds prevented me from uploading my pics until now. Chuck is at 170 currently.

Final report and pics to follow.

Its looking good I'll be waiting on the big finish!!!!!

I had to pick my son up from wrestling. When I left, the pork was at 145. When I got back, both were approaching 190. But, they were in foil and don't look too bad. I wasn't able to take the time to stick the bacon in the freezer, it didn't go on as well as it did on the fattie I did. Part of it tried to fall off when I took them out of the foil. (More on the cheesy one than the plain. I'll be cutting the cheesy one once it rests for a while.

Cheesy Pork-U-Pine

383923657.jpg

Banquet Pork-U-Pine

383924097.jpg

Well, it's over. It took just at 12 hours to cook Chuck while fighting rain and wind cooling off the cooker on several occasions. With the target temp of 225, I kept it between 200 and 250 with the majority of the time spent at the target temp. Here are the last pics.

The Cheesy Pork-U-Pine didn't have as much cheese left inside as I thought. What was there was delicious! I'm going to have to work harder on perfecting this thing before I consider it a success.
383930488.jpg

And now, for Chuck. I didn't get to take a picture of him straight out of the foil. The wrestling coaches wouldn't allow me the time. I said "Hand me my camera." Instead they handed me a knife.
icon_mrgreen.gif

383930510.jpg

383930501.jpg

Will it all fit?

383930507.jpg

Here's what's left to go in.

383930497.jpg

It all fit in the roasting pan. BUT, it wouldn't have if the coaches hadn't been doing a little quality control. I'll bet they taste tested nearly a pound of meat. They passed up the bbq sauce for the juice in the pan. They would dip and eat faster than I could cut there for a while. Here's what I ended up with.

383930728.jpg

Well, to be honest. I'm not quite done yet. They brought me a ham and a whole baking chicken to do between tomorrow and Thursday. The chicken was frozen, so I couldn't cook it tonight. Besides, I'm tired. I hope you've enjoyed the thread.

Thanks for looking.

Every thing looks great.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks. I forgot to mention that even though the wood was marginal, none of the meat came out with too heavy of a smoke flavor. It was most noteable on the turkey and the bacon wrap. But all tasted very well to me.

This ended up being a long day for me. I started the fire @ 9:00 a.m. and clean-up at the shop wasn't over until nearly midnight. I'm just now home to shower and get some sleep before the alarm goes back off at 6:00 a.m.

DG -

While you are closing your long day, I am still up completing some Administrative work, but took some time to read your post. The project turned out terrific, in my opinion, and I know there will be a thankful Wrestling Team this week, due all your effort...

Congratulations!
points.gif

Stonebriar

That's a fine looking smoker load of meat! Thanks for sharing the pics.

DG - great looking work all around. Your son's gotta hate you during wrestling season pumping out that kinda grub!

Thanks for sharing

Man oh Man there Bruce you have done a great job on your smoke the meat looks great juicy and I bet really tender too. I really do like those Pork-U-Pine thingys.

He seems to have better self-discipline than what I possess.
icon_redface.gif

He started football last year @ 193 +/-. By the end of football, he was 181. By the middle of wrestling, he was wrestling 165, weighing between 149 (lowest) and 154. He also grew almost another half-inch over the fall/winter. He can look me in the eye now.
eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky