Meh - Semi-caveman Chuck Eye steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Couple of HEB select chuck eye steaks, Kosher salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion and fresh ground pepper on to a regretfully small fire (I am never happy with the results of small fires) with a spare cooking grate right on the coals.
IMG_2145.JPG

Flipped - OK grill marks but the fire just wasn't as hot as I like.
IMG_2146.JPG

Rested
IMG_2147.JPG

Sliced - a little more done than I prefer but very tasty. The wood fire aroma and taste was bold. With a little Pickapeppa sauce it was great!
IMG_2148.JPG

The End.

Looks pretty good. Heck it looks a heck of a lot better than the one I paid good money for at my work Christmas party the other night.

Jim

Reactions: Retired Spook
So those would be considered early Neanderthal steaks LOL. Either way they look good from here.

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
Love food cooked over wood, I wood'nt recommend using a pitboss cast iron grate to do it often, they might warp/crack , most of the time they also have a coating on them that won't like high temps. had a large grate I made years ago for doing that using drain grates, worked very well, let brotherinlaw use it, no idea where it went.

Love food cooked over wood, I wood'nt recommend using a pitboss cast iron grate to do it often, they might warp/crack , most of the time they also have a coating on them that won't like high temps. had a large grate I made years ago for doing that using drain grates, worked very well, let brotherinlaw use it, no idea where it went.
That little grate I used came from an old, cheap, sheet metal barrel grill - it's been through so many fires that it is, indeed, warped, and if it had any coating on it, it was burned off long ago.

Nevertheless, I was not very happy with the results because the fire was just too small to sear the chuck eyes the way I like - they were charred more than seared. I've been feeling a little lazy lately due to a pretty wild combination of Rx drugs so I thought I would try a small fire. Live and learn - over and over 🫡

Not every cook is going to come out perfectly the way you want, looks like that one got away from you by a bit, tho not much. I hear you about the Rx meds Spook, used to cost a small fortune to get that kind of buzz. RAY

I need to find me a hickory tree to cut down, been out of live hickory for a long time, kiln dried is ok but not the best imo. any wood is better than no wood in the end.

When meat is put directly on coals (or even on a grate directly on coals), the coals are partially smothered and the fire is not as hot. If you have a thin steak, the inside will get done before the outside gets a good char. It helps to have a thick steak and a large enough fire that you can move steak to a new spot when turning over.

Here is my old video of caveman steaks directly on coals (and one of my favorite tunes).

• Love
When meat is put directly on coals (or even on a grate directly on coals), the coals are partially smothered and the fire is not as hot. If you have a thin steak, the inside will get done before the outside gets a good char. It helps to have a thick steak and a large enough fire that you can move steak to a new spot when turning over.

Here is my old video of caveman steaks directly on coals (and one of my favorite tunes).

You are the best edmonds edmonds ! I have learned a great deal from you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky