Sunday Smash Burger by RS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
1/2-pound HEB 80/20 ground chuck, kosher salt, granulated garlic, granulated onion and fresh ground black pepper.

Built a fire and placed the cast iron griddle on the grate and let it get hot and smashed the burger on.
IMG_2139.JPG

Waited a few minutes (pure Neanderthal instinct) and flipped it
IMG_2141.JPG

Added some Kraft extra sharp cheddar cheese and let it melt
IMG_2142.JPG

And when it was ready (again pure Neanderthal instict) plated it and ate it!
IMG_2144.JPG

Man was that good! 🫡

Last edited:
Land O lakes or Walnut Creek store and here. Local place carries some Coopers cheese but not a sharp american.
That's interesting. Every single grocery store here in north GA carries Land o Lakes yellow and white american but I've never seen the sharp. Luckily BJ's carries the Cooper white sharp american. It's stellar. I love that stuff!

Reactions: jcam222
Looks spectacular.
But of course burgers have to have American cheese, not cheddar. I prefer LoL white American (also great for enchiladas).
Although I like thick burgers (1/2 lb might be too much for an old guy like me), I thought smashed burgers were supposed to be thin. But it looks like you got all the crevices and convolutions that give smash burgers their characteristic char flavor. Good job.

Looks spectacular.
But of course burgers have to have American cheese, not cheddar. I prefer LoL white American (also great for enchiladas).
Although I like thick burgers (1/2 lb might be too much for an old guy like me), I thought smashed burgers were supposed to be thin. But it looks like you got all the crevices and convolutions that give smash burgers their characteristic char flavor. Good job.
I have to admit that I am a sucker for a Philly cheese steak with White American cheese - I'm going to pick some up for my next burger. :emoji_thumbsup:

Looks great. Something to think about, last smash burgers I used about 1/3 cup of meat and pressed them out really thin to get bun size. Yep takes two patties to make a real burger but you get twice the singed with an extra slice of cheese in between. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas to all.

I like half pound burgers. I usually get my griddle a little hotter but I was a little lazy - Rx's have been kicking my butt.

I do not like skinny burgers no matter how they are cooked.

Reactions: gmc2003
Iffen you were commenting to my 1/3 cup meat smash burgers. Not sure what Rx's is. Me, nope do not like skinny burgers, got to be mashed out flat to be bun sized after cooked. Yep way too thin for a burger, but stacked, 2-3 of them tall just as they are taking off the griddle with singing and cheese in between is what I was referring to. 2/3lb with two, 3/3lb with three. However I might add, I like 70% to have to sizzle the fat out for griddling or grilling to make the smoke juice. Just my way. Ha, This is what this site is for. Me do it this way, give it a try if you want.

Last edited:
Man was that good!
I bet it was . I see a bunless burger in my future . There's a place here that does a brown gravy flat top burger . Served open faced with or without toast . Smothered in brown gravy .

1/3 cup of meat and pressed them out really thin to get bun size. Yep takes two patties to make a real burger
Yup . I weigh out 4 oz. balls . Smash thin and get that edge crispy . Stack up two with American cheese in between .
20230711_174542.jpg

I bet it was . I see a bunless burger in my future . There's a place here that does a brown gravy flat top burger . Served open faced with or without toast . Smothered in brown gravy .

Yup . I weigh out 4 oz. balls . Smash thin and get that edge crispy . Stack up two with American cheese in between .
View attachment 683758
I prefer 1/2-lb burgers because I prefer pink in the middle and a little blood running out with the fat - it enhances the beef flavor and satisfies my hunter-gatherer instinct. I go bunless because "bread" today - is garbage in my humble opinion - and until someone starts exporting real Kaiser rolls from New York City to the Ninth Circle of Hell, it's all just cheap Wonder bread (in my humble opinion).

An added benefit is that I only have to cook one burger, instead of two...

Last edited:
Nice looking burger, I all in for the crispy edges, and i'm ok with any cheese ( almost ) as long as there is cheese.

With a burger like that, who needs vegetables! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Come on Colin cows eat grass and hay, that's close enough for me to say there's veg on the plate , LOL :emoji_cow2::emoji_cow2:🤠:emoji_laughing:

David

Hot hamburger sandwich. Big time favorite around here. Just don't forget the gravy fries.

I do not like skinny burgers no matter how they are cooked.
I'm with you on this one. I like my burgers to be larger then the rolls they're sitting in.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky