The Most Incredible Chuck Eye Steak I ever ate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
HEB select chuck eye steak - patted dry with paper towels, dusted with Adolph's meat tenderizer, let rest on counter for 1-hour, then dusted with granulated garlic, granulated onion and freshly ground black pepper.

Sauteed mushrooms, onions and chunked garlic in EVOO and butter, plated the mushroom, onions and garlic and seared the chuck steak for 3-minutes each side in the very hot carbon steel pan. It was as tender as the best tenderloin I have ever tasted and had that fantastic beefy chuck flavor that I love.

Look closely you can see the similarity it has to a rib eye - the cut that a chuck eye is a kissin-cousin to!

Just phenomenal - the Adolph's took it over the top!

IMG_1918.JPG

Last edited:
I need to get the ones I have thawed out . Fantastic steak , and that looks great .
Which Adolph's did you get ? Red or yellow lid ?

Reactions: Retired Spook
I need to get the ones I have thawed out . Fantastic steak , and that looks great .
Which Adolph's did you get ? Red or yellow lid ?
Red - original. I saw the yellow label "seasoned with spices" but I just wanted to see how well the stuff worked.

Reactions: chopsaw
HEB select chuck eye steak - patted dry with paper towels, dusted with Adolph's meat tenderizer, let rest on counter for 1-hour, then dusted with granulated garlic, granulated onion and freshly ground black pepper.
My family used Adolph's tenderizer on things like round steaks. I remember ads that had a cartoon matador sprinkling some Adolph's on to a bull's head.

You only get a couple Chuck eye steaks off of each animal . Never had one that wasn't fantastic and completely tender . Not to be confused with a chuck steak .
HEB is hit or miss with the chuck eye steaks - many are "less than tender." Nevertheless, this one was phenomenal - Filet Mignon tender.

The scientific way.
Get 2 identical steaks from the same animal, treat both the same except one gets Adolf, then compare.

Regardless, that steak looks really good.

The scientific way.
Get 2 identical steaks from the same animal, treat both the same except one gets Adolf, then compare.

Regardless, that steak looks really good.
The experience way - HEB select chuck eye I would rate as good as you guys want them to be, about 20% of the time.

Nevertheless, in the last 9-years of buying chuck eye steaks at the local HEB, not one was anywhere near as tender as this one. I have enjoyed almost all of them because I prefer the flavor - some were pretty tough - but not one came anywhere near the tenderness of this one.

Last edited:
I realize that some folks are purists but - at least in my part of the planet - meat quality is going down, and the Adolph's has been making that fact slightly more tolerable. :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky