Corn Tortillas Falling Apart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I did a chuck roast couple days ago. I been having hard time with my right hand. Pretty sure from playing long hours of video games. When I went to put the broth in fridge I dropped it. Oh what a mess! Got to have my roast swimming in broth. I decide to just make enchilada's with it. I have tried everything I seen on the web to try to keep corn tortillas from falling apart when rolling but nothing works. Probably old tortillas. Anyone have any method that really works?

Last edited:
keep corn tortillas from falling apart when rolling but nothing works. Probably old tortillas. Anyone have any method that really works?
These are homemade , but works with store bought corn or flour .
Tortilla warmer or a Pyrex round casserole dish with a lid .
After cooking or warming the tortillas put them in the warmer and cover with a towel and put the lid on .
The warmer is sitting on the counter . I put a damp paper towel in the bottom .
They're about 10 bucks .
1697640321356.png

Here's a full picture of mine . Just search Amazon for tortilla warmer , or you can most likely get it local easy enough .
View attachment 678772
I have that same one and was using it this morning. First tried wetting them put in pan than try spray a little oil in bottom of pan. May have to try to make. I have a press.

You can heat the tortillas one at a time in a dry skillet , then put in the warmer . Stack them up and put the lid on so the steam softens them .
My Son puts a damp paper towel in the bottom .
Stacks the tortillas cold in the warmer
Another damp paper towel on top
puts the lid on and nukes the whole thing .
Let it sit so the steam softens them . Not sure how long he nukes them .
Maybe a minute or so .

You can heat the tortillas one at a time in a dry skillet , then put in the warmer . Stack them up and put the lid on so the steam softens them .
My Son puts a damp paper towel in the bottom .
Stacks the tortillas cold in the warmer
Another damp paper towel on top
puts the lid on and nukes the whole thing .
Let it sit so the steam softens them . Not sure how long he nukes them .
Maybe a minute or so .

Like this tip, thank you

David

Reactions: chopsaw
Brian , that sucks about your hand, might have a bit of carpal tunnel, I am sure I spelt that wrong.
Might have to get that looked after.
Mona had to get both of her wrists fixed , 5 / 6 years ago, and still going fine, sometimes she could not hold anything in her hands . Drop fork or knife right in middle of eating. Very painful and locked up.

Get it looked at Brian, you can't keep cleaning up after the broth drops.

David

Oil a pan and bring it up to medium/high and put the tortilla in the pan for 10 to 15 seconds per side. Test for the results you want and increase the time until you get what you are looking for. Less oil mess/$$ than dipping them.

Do this for 90 to 120 seconds per side and they'll make great street tacos that hold up super well.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Oil a pan and bring it up to medium/high and put the tortilla in the pan for 10 to 15 seconds per side. Test for the results you want and increase the time until you get what you are looking for. Less oil mess/$$ than dipping them.

Do this for 90 to 120 seconds per side and they'll make great street tacos that hold up super well.
And for enchiladas the corn holds better texture after cooking in the sauce vs. just steaming then rolling. The fast fry is really key for texture and taste I think.

Reactions: philpom
Being gluten free has learnt me how to work with corn tortillas. They absolutely have to be pre-heated in some way to not fall apart when you use them. Flour tortillas are much easier to work with than corn.

Blanch them in hot oil first. Don’t fry them just slip them in and out of the oil a couple seconds is all. Then drain on paper towel. Fill and roll while still warm.
This is exactly what I do. I fold paper towels in a zig zag pattern first and layer the tortillas between them to get the excess oil out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky