Log splitting safety lesson!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpnmf

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 19, 2010
Fl
Soooo...I am using the new electric splitter to cut 4-6 inch lengths of pecan into chunks for smoking and making charcoal..

It works great..

The pecan is very hard and some of the chunks fly off with a bang to 10-15 feet like depth charges...

The splitter has two safety switches so both hands have to be keeping the thing working..

When I let off the ram returns all the way back so I use a 18 inch log to push the short pieces into the wedge...

Got a nice pile going..

After an hour or so of happy chunking I had a bright idea..

Put two chunks in for faster production...

Uh ohhh....not a great idea...one of the chunks shoots right straight up and tagged me between the eyes..

Broke the glasses I was wearing and I thought ..this is gonna hurt..it did..no blood tho..

Went in and put some ice on it as it began to swell..

I will be sticking to single pieces from now on and will be getting some sort of shield for the face....

Yesterdays pic right after the incident...

Todays picture..24 hours later...

Craig

Last edited:
Dang, sorry , Craig. Now go to your BBQ Log and enter...NOTE TO SELF...
ROTF.gif

Glad you're O.K.

Stan

you got lucky! my dad was cutting some splits in half 2 years ago with a "homemade" table saw and his glasses fell right as he was about to turn it off  he tried to catch them (reflex) and ehded up going palm down on the blade. loped off 3.5 fingers they stitched em back on but it still isnt working properly. not to mention i had to bag the finger bits for the doctor. he threw away the table saw and purchased a chop saw for it now.

you got lucky! my dad was cutting some splits in half 2 years ago with a "homemade" table saw and his glasses fell right as he was about to turn it off  he tried to catch them (reflex) and ehded up going palm down on the blade. loped off 3.5 fingers they stitched em back on but it still isnt working properly. not to mention i had to bag the finger bits for the doctor. he threw away the table saw and purchased a chop saw for it now.
Be careful with a chop saw. If you are cutting them to small. I have had pieces go flying across the room. Now I use a band saw.

Happy smoken.

David

Yeah... Sure Craig.... Looks like she only had to tell you once............................hahahaha

Be careful with a chop saw. If you are cutting them to small. I have had pieces go flying across the room. Now I use a band saw.

Happy smoken.

David
yea i dont use it for mine but dad is stubborn so nothin i can really do . i just cut all my wood to the size i need before i split. and im going to be doing that alot in the next two weeks my buddy just told me he cut down 2 pecan trees about 6 months ago and told me to make them disapear plus im getting another from a old man down the road. i love pecan for smoking! anyone ever tried smoking with pecan shells?

OMG!   Was that piece of wood OK???  

This was the ongoing joke when ever we hurt ourselves growing up...."is the concrete OK?"    It's funny now but wasn't at the time...lol

Last edited:
Dang Craig! Something like that and folks folks are going to be asking how the other guy looks!

Glad you're alright and that it isn't worse!  Like my Dad used to say. . ."It'll feel better when the pain goes away"!

Thanks for the concern!!!

I havent had a shiner like that in a long time...

It was when I broke my nose crashing my bike in the 70s...

It doesnt hurt today..but the bruise is growing..

Pics later..

Craig

Nice Job, Craig!!!

I split a lot of firewood with a big hydraulic splitter, but I never cut any to length on it.

Are you sure the Boss didn't do that?
biggrin.gif

Bear

Omgoodness! Craig!  You could have gotta a cut on your "eyeball".....so glad that it was not worse!

Crap!  That is a healthy black eye...and too bad you didn't have a "bar fight" or a "you should see the other guy" story to go with that shiner!

Kat

Omgoodness! Craig!  You could have gotta a cut on your "eyeball".....so glad that it was not worse!

Crap!  That is a healthy black eye...and too bad you didn't have a "bar fight" or a "you should see the other guy" story to go with that shiner!

Kat
Too old for bars and other guy stuff..got  model 66 for that kinda stuff..
Nice Job, Craig!!!

I split a lot of firewood with a big hydraulic splitter, but I never cut any to length on it.

Are you sure the Boss didn't do that?
biggrin.gif

Bear
I'da been alright if I just kept going with one at a time..

Hahahaaha!!

I am the boss at my house...

Craig

And now todays picture..

Looks a little better..

Dammit man that had to hurt  I use wood as my primary heat source an my wife was helping me split with A large hydraulic splitter I hear A blood curtailing scream thinking that she had chopped off her fingers I had to chase her around the yard to check her hand thank god she only mashed hell out of her finger tips [three new finger nails] be careful around splitters,chainsaws,and malls they don`t feel a thing
head-wall.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky