Local home made maple syrup bacon! cure question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Curing AgentNitrateNitrite
Cure #1NoYes
Cure #2YesYes
Morton [emoji]174[/emoji] Tender QuickYesYes
Morton [emoji]174[/emoji] Sugar CureYesYes
Morton [emoji]174[/emoji] Smoke Flavored Sugar CureYesNo

I just read the first 20 posts on this thread, and even though I have been curing Bacon for over 4 years, and never had a problem, this thread is totally confusing to me. I can imagine any Newbie who reads this will just throw in the towel.

I agree with what Martin said & Dave, but most else sounds dangerous to me.

Curing shouldn't be difficult !!!

Anyone is welcome to use my dry cure method with TQ (in my Signature below). It is very easy to follow, and never had a problem, and never had any that was too salty.

If you want to wet cure, I would use Pop's brine, with Cure #1-----The one Craig advertises.

Curing Bacon should never be as confusing as this thread makes it look.

Just my 2 Piasters.

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, this is good reading indeed!  I noticed that the table containing information on what has nitrites/nitrates is incorrect for the Morton's Smoke-Flavored Sugar Cure.  Morton's has indicated that the smoke flavored one contains nitrite, but no nitrate, however this table has it the other way around.
argh, this whole nitrate/nitrite thing has me confused.

I want to reiterate that the Smoke Flavored Sugar Cure as Martin said contains ONLY the Nitrate.  http://morton.elsstore.com/view/product/?id=21226&cid=178

Regular Sugar Cure has both nitrate and nitrite.

Thanks for continuing with the info Martin, I obviously tried to take the easy way out buying this stuff, but it appears that I'd be much better off using Cure #1 (anywhere on-line I can get this, or in any local supermarket?) and make up my own curing mixture.

It's meant to be easy, especially if all the directions are read carefully.
I've used Morton's curing products for 32 years (family used them for decades before I started), I always keep a bag of it around, even though I now use cure #1 and #2 mostly.

~Martin

I just read the first 20 posts on this thread, and even though I have been curing Bacon for over 4 years, and never had a problem, this thread is totally confusing to me. I can imagine any Newbie who reads this will just throw in the towel.

I agree with what Martin said & Dave, but most else sounds dangerous to me.

Curing shouldn't be difficult !!!

Anyone is welcome to use my dry cure method with TQ (in my Signature below). It is very easy to follow, and never had a problem, and never had any that was too salty.

If you want to wet cure, I would use Pop's brine, with Cure #1-----The one Craig advertises.

Curing Bacon should never be as confusing as this thread makes it look.

Just my 2 Piasters.

Bear
HAHA no sh*t!

All i did was confuse the crap out of myself here, but I think I am good now with the knowledge that came into this thread.  I did not buy TQ when I got the morton's as I do not think they had any available at that time.  For me, from now on and forever, I will try using Pop's brine as it sounds very easy and works well with excellent results.  As for the HAM, we shall see how it tastes come July-maybe August.. maybe even longer!

Thanks for continuing with the info Martin, I obviously tried to take the easy way out buying this stuff, but it appears that I'd be much better off using Cure #1 (anywhere on-line I can get this, or in any local supermarket?) and make up my own curing mixture.

Any butcher supply, Butcher and Packer sells it for a reasonable price.

Cure #1 is easy to use, if you have a good scale.

~Martin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky