Let's Make Dry Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Let there be "MOLD"
I might have to get my Humidy control ready and my mini coolmist.

And the fresh smell of salami waft through the air.
IMG_5430.JPG

Seen your comment on that recipe.

I dont like the way he handles the meter with messy gloves....Oh well

Anyways

My final pH before hanging was 5.0
Thanks for all your input, your way more versed on this than me, I'm still old school.
Hey Rick....When I first got started down the road of salami, for the life of me I could not figure out why Italians don't add sugar to ferment their salami. I was determined to find out why. Well, after a long look at it and coming full circle, the answer is yes, they do add sugars.
When I got into making wine, I spent a lot of time doing research on wine grapes. Come to find out, way back when, the Romans liked sweet wines. They did not have the closure technology we have today and could not stop wine from oxidizing so they wanted to drink it soon. Those sweet wines added natural sugars to the salami. even 1g/Kg. would have dropped the pH down from 5.75 to 5.35 which would have given a pretty good safety profile....

The more you know........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky