Cheese Smokies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
I realized that we were out of cheese smokies about a week ago and had to rectify the situation.So with a bit of a break in the cold weather we've been having for the last few weeks, I decided to pull out a few pork shoulders and try my new Weston #8 grinder. I left these in the fridge overnight with the hopes that they'd be a tad more thawed out than they were. In case you were wondering, cutting partially frozen meat is a pleasure. Cutting mostly frozen meat this size is not. It took a bit of extra work, but I got it done.

The shoulders combined came out to 6.35kg in total and have been frozen since I got them.

20240311_105040.jpg

After a bit of grunting and groaning they were cubed up. There wasn't much for the soft fats on these so there wasn't much weight loss overall.

20240311_132353.jpg

I gave all the grinder parts a wash in hot soapy water, then into the freezer while I went and picked up the cheese I needed for the smokies. Also grabbed a few things for the Beef Bourguignon my 12 y/o decided to make as part of his French homework.

20240311_133525.jpg

It took me just under 7 minutes to grind everything up. It's a challenge keeping up with my 1/3rd hp #5. This #8 is a fair amount more challenging to keep up with. I had to use two hands to load the hopper just to keep up. I don't know how you guys do it with a #12.

20240311_134806.jpg

My son and I cut up the cheese and put it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper then into the freezer. This helps keep the processed cheese together so you get more even distribution of cheese chunks throughout. If you don't freeze it, the processed slices come apart. No picture of the cheese on the sheet, but here it is all mixed up with spices, cheese and all. It's going into the fridge overnight and will be stuffed into 29-32 hog casings in the morning.

This was mixed in the big bin until it was trying to pull my gloves off. That cold meat sure makes your hands ache. It was a work out to boot. Talk about a sticky mass o' pork. I really like the fat studded throughout. Now that I can keep my temps down in the Bradley with the pellet tray, they should still be there after all is said and done. I can't wait to try these over a camp fire!

Mixing in the cheese.

429993131_7175957289117934_9006393794860029172_n.jpg

Mixed, covered, and into the fridge for the night.

20240311_195412.jpg

More pics to follow as I progress through these. Thanks for reading.

Neil

Last edited:
What kind of cheese did you use? Your comment about freezing it a bit made me curious. Is it pre-sliced cheese?
Looking forward to how they turn out!

Reactions: nlife
It's Sunspun sliced processed cheese. It's a lot like Kraft singles, except I can buy it in a 2 kg block for $21 CAD. It doesn't melt out like aged cheddar, and doesn't cost a fortune like high temp cheese.

Best of both worlds for me.

It's THIS stuff.

Looks great, in for the ride. ( sounds like pullman block of sliced cheese for restaurants )

And your son is doing cooking for a project for French class, nice . we had to just sit and try to learn words , but that was grade 7 mandatory. Wish they made us take it every year.

David

Reactions: JLeonard
My son and I got the cheese smokies stuffed into 29-32 hog casings this morning. Now they're sitting on racks with a fan blowing over them to help them dry. They've been sitting like this for a touch more than an hour. I'll get the Bradley set up and dry out some pellets for the pellet tray. They'll be separated and placed onto the racks so that I can maximize the amount I can get into the smoker all at once.

Given that there's 53 and 1/4 in total, I'll likely have to bust out the other 4 racks I have and put them upside down on the regular racks so I can get a few more smokies into the smoker.

431588269_3279164829059921_6555517661991920927_n.jpg

Pellets burning, smoke a billowing. Bradley is reading 63f chamber temp. That should create enough draft to keep the pellets going and a good air exchange.

20240312_152125.jpg

20240312_152138.jpg

Last edited:
I just remembered that I picked up a ThermoPro wireless thermometer. I dropped one probe down the smoke hole to help monitor the chamber temps as I smoke.

20240312_154113.jpg

I should probably update this thread with the final results. I ran these in the Bradley with a pellet tray. We all noticed a change in smoke flavor when doing a cold/tray vs. the hot smoke on the Traeger. Perhaps I put a bit too much, but I still really enjoy them. These were given a cold smoke, then into a hot water bath until they reached an IT of 142f. Once it reached 142f, they were then given a cold water bath and left out to dry up before packing away. All said and done, I got 53 smokies.

I was running the Traeger doing up some jerk pork and seeing how it wasn't going to be finished anytime soon, I fired a couple of smokies on as well.

20240317_191815.jpg

I had one the usual way, gobs of mustard and a pile of onions in a bun. The other I cut up and had with plain ol' mustard for dipping. The bind could have been better, but my hands were aching by the time I got to the point of a sticky batter that would cling to my hand when turned upside down.

20240317_193733.jpg

20240317_193939.jpg

Big LOL on the hands aching from the cold. I thought I was just being a sissy. I've done a lot of work with my hands in cold water (gold mining/prospecting) but kneading ice cold meat just hit different. I chalked it up to being 10 years older than when I was playing in cold water for gold.

Reactions: nlife
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky