Cheddar Jalapeno Smokies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
Still working with the pork shoulder I ground up the other day, I made a small 2.5kg batch of Cheddar Jalapeno Cheddar Smokies, but this time, I used 29-32mm hog casings. All my other batches were with collagen. I really like how these turned out appearance wise. Nice visual difference between the smoked casing, the cheese, jalapeno bits, and the pork. These are going to be killer over the camp fire.

Chopped up 175g of jalapeno's while my son was doing his home school work. I did the cheddar too, but I didn't get a picture of it. Chopping the cheese cubes is a pain.

20240104_114939.jpg

Mixed the spices and cure, let sit overnight before adding in the cheese and jalapenos. After a spin in the kitchenaid to get a good emulsion, it was stuffed into 29-32mm hog casings. Put them on a rack and let them dry up a touch with a fan blowing over them before smoking.

20240104_140815.jpg

Better shot of the cheese and jalapeno bits in the sausage.

20240104_140826.jpg

I took a quick shot of them while I was checking the temperature. They were a touch over 142f so I pulled them and dropped them into an cold water bath to stop the cook and tighten the casing. These were on the Traeger at ~165f for an hour fifteen.

20240104_160643.jpg

Cold water bath.

20240104_161729.jpg

Drying once again after a quick wipe down and given some time to bloom.

20240104_164255.jpg

I'm really looking forward to having one of these for lunch tomorrow. They are my favorite so far. Could be even better with a bit longer cold smoke, but that'll have to wait a bit...

You aren't going to get a long smoke in a pellet pooper. The convection oven action just is too efficient at the cooking.
I'm thinking to modify and cold smoke in the kettle for an hour then transfer to the pooper and finish.

Reactions: nlife
Thanks everyone!

These are definitely on the menu for lunch today DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ! I'll get a cut shot too.

I agree Fueling Around Fueling Around . The pellet poopers really don't allow for a ton of smoke on smaller cuts. I have a Bradley, but I rarely use it since I got the Traeger. I've been looking to do the mailbox mod for the Bradley so I can do cheese's. Would also be a good way to get extra smoke on these.

After running out of propane and having to make a quick tank change by pulling one off my little trailer I got the cross section shot.

Gooey cheese and jalapeno chunks for your viewing pleasure...

20240105_130329.jpg

Last edited:
Still working with the pork shoulder I ground up the other day, I made a small 2.5kg batch of Cheddar Jalapeno Cheddar Smokies, but this time, I used 29-32mm hog casings. All my other batches were with collagen. I really like how these turned out appearance wise. Nice visual difference between the smoked casing, the cheese, jalapeno bits, and the pork. These are going to be killer over the camp fire.

Chopped up 175g of jalapeno's while my son was doing his home school work. I did the cheddar too, but I didn't get a picture of it. Chopping the cheese cubes is a pain.

View attachment 685018

Mixed the spices and cure, let sit overnight before adding in the cheese and jalapenos. After a spin in the kitchenaid to get a good emulsion, it was stuffed into 29-32mm hog casings. Put them on a rack and let them dry up a touch with a fan blowing over them before smoking.

View attachment 685019

Better shot of the cheese and jalapeno bits in the sausage.

View attachment 685020
I took a quick shot of them while I was checking the temperature. They were a touch over 142f so I pulled them and dropped them into an cold water bath to stop the cook and tighten the casing. These were on the Traeger at ~165f for an hour fifteen.

View attachment 685021

Cold water bath.

View attachment 685022

Drying once again after a quick wipe down and given some time to bloom.

View attachment 685023

I'm really looking forward to having one of these for lunch tomorrow. They are my favorite so far. Could be even better with a bit longer cold smoke, but that'll have to wait a bit...
Awesome work

Reactions: nlife
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky