Knots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ansio

Original poster
Oct 4, 2016
Idaho
How is everyone tying off there salami? One end of the casing has a loop already, How do you tie the other end so it stays shut?

Thanks

Agree, zip ties, or butcher twine is the easiest. If you want to be cool, get some hog rings & a pair of hog ring pliers. We just use string.
Al

Reactions: Ansio
Like said in post 6 . Go an extra time than you normally would when starting the tie . That way it won't slip back on you when you finish the knot and stays tight .
I also use zip ties , and I have the tool to tighten them .

Like said in post 6 . Go an extra time than you normally would when starting the tie . That way it won't slip back on you when you finish the knot and stays tight .
I also use zip ties , and I have the tool to tighten them .
The ole’ surgeon knot. Works perfectly. Zips also.

One thing I do when tying salami is I place them on a large sheet pan to tie and truss. I'll twist the open end closed while gently massaging the salami loop end to the now twisted end to even out the pressure on the mince. Then I will put a clothes pin on the twist letting it rest on the lip of the sheet pan. The clothes pin will not turn and will hold the twist in place. Then you can tie with two hands and really cinch the knot down tight between the clothes pin and the end of the salami. After the first surgeons knot I remove the clothes pin and trim away any excess casing leaving a 3/4" tag end. I'll do as Rick mentions and rotate the salami 180* then tie a second surgeons knot. Then rotate 180* again to tie a third and final surgeons knot. I have not had one come untied as of yet....

See how we all do different things. I dont like zips on my collagen or natural casings unless the twine dont want to be good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky