• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The big thing for me to wrap my brain around as far as fermenting is concerned was forcing myself to leave meat out at room temperature and believe it is safe. I had to trust the process.... the hurdles that hinder bad bacteria growth and help the culture were key for me. The pH meter was peace of mind when I started, but now it is a valuable tool for me to dial in the amount of sugars I need to drop the pH to a safe level at or below 5.3. Once you add that culture to the meat, it should never see refrigerator temps. while drying. That culture needs to work rapidly creating acid and crowd out the bad bacteria. The bioprotective bactericides need to be made by the culture. Once I really understood this, I felt way better leaving the meat out. Also, the clues to good fermentation help....the sweet fermenting smell, not a putrid rotting smell tell you all is going well.....

The degree/hours formula for safe fermentation should be followed. this tells you exactly how many hours at your fermentation temperature you can allow the meat to stay out until pH 5.3 or lower is achieved....This is to limit Staph. Aureus growth.
I love watching this happen but I dont have the knowledge or set up to give it a proper go, the latter being the bigger issue.
I have done the Umai stuff and its turned out great for me, so I understand the process you speak of.

One comment you made above made me question something.
"Once you add the culture it should not see fridge temps". That is the basis of everything Umai does when using their system.
Mix, stuff, ferment all like you did above, but then you put in the fridge for weeks at a time to dry. I also used the TSP-x as well like you did.
Not picking a fight in the least, just trying to learn.

I love watching this happen but I dont have the knowledge or set up to give it a proper go, the latter being the bigger issue.
I have done the Umai stuff and its turned out great for me, so I understand the process you speak of.

One comment you made above made me question something.
"Once you add the culture it should not see fridge temps". That is the basis of everything Umai does when using their system.
Mix, stuff, ferment all like you did above, but then you put in the fridge for weeks at a time to dry. I also used the TSP-x as well like you did.
Not picking a fight in the least, just trying to learn.
I left out "until fermentation is complete".

Once the salami is fermented and you get the desired pH drop, then yes, you can finish drying umai salami in the fridge.

The downside to drying salami in a fridge is the potential for dry rim (or severe case hardening on thicker salami), and a complete halt of flavor forming bacteria because of the cold temperatures.

Reactions: hondabbq
I left out "until fermentation is complete".

Once the salami is fermented and you get the desired pH drop, then yes, you can finish drying umai salami in the fridge.

The downside to drying salami in a fridge is the potential for dry rim (or severe case hardening on thicker salami), and a complete halt of flavor forming bacteria because of the cold temperatures.
Thank you for clarifying that. That makes sense.

Reactions: indaswamp
4 of the 7 salami are done drying to 35% weight loss so peeled the casings, cut into 3" sections to vac seal tonight.
IMG_20231123_195305.jpg

The slice...oh wow...most awesome!
IMG_20231123_195401.jpg

IMG_20231123_195429.jpg

I bought these 11" bags by accident. It is a roll of double bags 5.5" wide. the roll is perforated down the middle between (2) 5.5" wide bags. Perfect for 3" sections of salami. You can seal two at a time....
IMG_20231123_203502.jpg

IMG_20231123_203525.jpg

IMG_20231123_204900.jpg

Looks good! Come January I will be getting back into it.
Had not seen that pouch roll before.
I could make good use of that for our snacks (cheese, salami, etc.)
I've been making my own.
Seal end, cut piece off roll, make two seals down middle, and cut between the seals.

Reactions: indaswamp
Slightly smaller diameter Piemonte salami reached 33% weight loss tonight. Decided to cut it to sample...
no flash...
IMG_20231125_194056.jpg

With flash...
IMG_20231125_194105.jpg

Wow! Incredibly balanced salami! Subtle sweetness from the nutmeg really accents the porkiness of this Berkshire heritage breed! Will only get better when it loses a little more weight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky