Salami Mette

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Been wanting to make this but was waiting for the long pepper.

RECIPE: Pork shoulder 100% 2000g
Salt 2.55% 51g
Lemon Zest 0.4% 8g
Long Black pepper Ground 0.4% 8g
Oregano 0.3% 6g
Pink salt #2 0.25% 5g
Dextrose 0.3% 6g
Bacteria BLC-007 0.022% .44g
Distilled Water 1.5% 34g
Beef middles or hog middles. You can use protein lined fibrous also like the one I did.

Well its here.
smette.JPG

Fresh ground pork and back fat.
smette1.jpg

All mixed up.
Add the 007 first then the dextrose. Final with the rest of the dry.

smette2.jpg

The clothespin trick Inda posted worked real good.
smette3.jpg

smette4.jpg

Make a bubble knot on the bottom end. I made a loop here also just in case the top loop fails.

smette5.JPG

Tie some twin in the middle so the meat dont slide to the bottom which could result causing an air pocket at the top.
smette6.jpg

Now I use bread bags to help keep the humidity in and aid in fermentation
18-20 hours.
smette7.JPG

Keep 'em coming Rick! I'm loving it! First time I've seen Long black pepper, What region is it from? Be careful with the temps. fermenting with that B-LC-007 culture as it has Peddiococcus Acidilactici bacteria and it is very fast!

In for the ride...

Google answered my question....from India...never heard of the stuff. Interesting....from wiki:
Only after the discovery of the American continents and of chili pepper, called by the Spanish pimiento, employing their word for long pepper, did the popularity of long pepper fade away.[2] Chili peppers, some of which, when dried, are similar in shape and taste to long pepper, were easier to grow in a variety of locations more convenient to Europe. Today, long pepper is a rarity in general commerce.

Keep 'em coming Rick! I'm loving it! First time I've seen Long black pepper, What region is it from? Be careful with the temps. fermenting with that B-LC-007 culture as it has Peddiococcus Acidilactici bacteria and it is very fast!

In for the ride...
Yes the temp I have them hanging is pretty constant right now 70*

Reactions: indaswamp
Not there yet.
Check around 5p. Need 5.2 or below.

IMG_5530.JPG

Yeah I'm there. So jazzed to get this done I forgot the pic I was at 5.01

Sprayed with 600 and in with the other kids.
IMG_5537.JPG

A full closet, no more room for while.
IMG_5538.JPG

Would you mind taking a moment to 'splain your drying cabinet or is there a thread about it I can read perhaps?
I'm still shopping for a proper box to start my adventure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky