Knife Skills

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike243

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 25, 2018
E Tn
I was making some Jambalaya yesterday cause that's what the wife wanted, so I prepped my knife and proceeded to prepare the chicken thighs, Had 6 nice ones but buy the time I was almost done the edge had gotten a little slow or dull. As I cleaned the knife to hit it with the rod again it came to me that the plastic board was why I was doing this again, so I slowed down and the only part of the knife I allowed to touch the board was the tip, guess what, sliced everything else up and the knife was as sharp then as when I started. also had no vegetables that stayed links together by a little bit that the knife failed to cut completely thru. At 58 years old I have done a bunch of cutting and sharpening and wish I had read or learned this 40 years ago. So if your like me and let the full length of the blade hit the board stop it and try letting the tip only touch and vary your angle and stroke of the knife so it works for you. I dice the trinity into 1/4" - 5/16" so I can get a little of everything in a spoon for a bite so there's a lot of cutting. Also sausage gets quartered then into 5/16" - 3/8" dice. Also another first, Baked roux , yep super easy 90 minutes total stirring every 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven . will add a picture from my phone .

Reactions: Will Squared
96B5EC1C-10BC-43B3-AADB-CFB25825FE76.jpeg
712128DE-9C65-4460-9116-1C94FFF2CA69.jpeg
96B5EC1C-10BC-43B3-AADB-CFB25825FE76.jpeg
5A7CDB46-25B4-4275-8416-E7BCAA5C6402.jpeg
712128DE-9C65-4460-9116-1C94FFF2CA69.jpeg

And now cleaning the mess up from the stove, would love to have the smooth surface for clean up but your not supposed to use cast iron on them, I will continue to scrub the old gas stove lol

I use cast iron on our cooktop with no issues. Just have to be careful not to drop the cast iron on it.

I will say about a cooktop is a pita to clean.

And the jambalya looks great

Reactions: jcam222
Nice Post Looks great and some helpful info

Gary

Looks Great, Mike!!
I always wondered about my plastic cutting board, but it seems rather soft.
Thanks for the Tip!!

Bear

Guys/girls I was shocked , I kinda stroked the stuff as I went to set the point down then pulled the knife thru the meat/veg , cut after cut was great and no dull knife

Reactions: Will Squared
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky