Decent Knife for Trimming

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
9” Rapala fillet knife. The black plastic handled ones are good, but the birch handled ones from Finland are a lot better. They are the bomb for trimming briskets, and hold a good edge

I must be the odd one out, but I use my Henckels Four Star 8" Chef (I have 2 of them, 1 for just over 29 years now) for 95% of my trimming & processing. I have cut up Elk, many a deer, salmon, and many wild hogs with them.....
What matters is what works and feels good for you.
9” Rapala fillet knife. The black plastic handled ones are good, but the birch handled ones from Finland are a lot better. They are the bomb for trimming briskets, and hold a good edge.
Agreed 100% on the higher end Rapala knives.

Reactions: civilsmoker
While I have a butchers knife, a carving knife and a few dedicated meat carving knives, I almost always use my 9" Dexter-Russel fillet knife for trimming raw meat. It is good and sharp and the thin blade allows me to get under silver skin due to its flexibility.
Screenshot_20231128_145539_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
Victorinox knifes for me. But I have some old Chicago cutlery knives my grandpap had, they are awesome.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

My favorite is one I made myself. Made from a metal cutting band saw blade I use this for boning and trimming and once in a while, filetting fish. Blade is high carbon steel and nickel, not stainless, hence the staining. Handle is white cedar and sumac with aluminum pins.

Last edited:
That is really cool that you made the knife! I appreciate all of the replies and the help.

View attachment 682243
My favorite is one I made myself. Made from a metal cutting band saw blade I use this for boning and trimming and once in a while, filetting fish. Blade is high carbon steel and nickel, not stainless, hence the staining. Handle is white cedar and sumac with aluminum pins.
One day I'll get into knife making. I have lots of plans for retirement once the rat race slows down. If it ever slows down...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky