Decent Knife for Trimming

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
Hello! I did a search of the forum and did not find what I need. I would like a decent knife for trimming meat and cutting ribs, etc. I seem to be seeing several in videos that look kind of like a fillet knife. We have a general set of knife at home, but they get dull quickly due to being an inexpensive set.

Thank you for the help!

Reactions: JLeonard
This is the knife I use for slicing meat including brisket and ribs. Awesome. I like this long one but you can get the short version as well. Mercer is quality cutlery used in many restaurants and culinary schools. Mercer Culinary M13914 Millennia Black Handle, 14-Inch, Slicer https://a.co/d/dKBrjEp

What's your budget? Lots of options For what you want I'd go with two knives. This boning knife is great for trimming meat and is a good quality knife especially at this price point Victorinox Boning Curved Semi-Stiff Blade Fibrox Pro Handle https://a.co/d/8R7Qsjv
I use this knife for 90% of what I do. Sharpens up really nice. Cheap, and disposable when you need a new one. Looks like its really cheap now, so Ima pick one up myself!!

Reactions: mike243 and jcam222
I use this knife for 90% of what I do. Sharpens up really nice. Cheap, and disposable when you need a new one. Looks like its really cheap now, so Ima pick one up myself!!
They will go fast at $22! I almost grabbed one too but resisted lol. Only 18 left

I have a couple of curved boning knives for general trimming and prep. The black one is a Victorinox flexible, the bottom is a Mercer stiff blade.

8JgqFNq.jpg

On a different twist, these are Havalon brand folding knives, and the blades are replaceable, and scary sharp.
OgAdLF9.jpg

Or course, fillet knives are very handy too.
xZM0Kl2.jpg

The smaller Victorinox 6 in. boning knife is all you need for your trimming/deboning needs.

1701042754167.png

I see the Bearded Butchers use the Victorinox 6" knives. Price is not horrible it seems.

Reactions: DougE
I am not a butcher, not an expert.

For trimming I use the same pocket knife i use to gut a deer.

Just a pocket knife.

• Haha
Reactions: mike243
Here is the one I use.... The Company is in Kansas City and supplies commercial packing plants, meat houses, and butcher shops. Basic no frills utility knife. Very good Steel though....$13 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/UltraSource-...rce+5+curve+blade+boning+knife,aps,128&sr=8-7

I think a member here mentioned it to me. I also talked to my buddy in Kansas; a friend of his is a Butcher and uses all Ultra Source Knives and recommends then highly.

I like the 5" semi flexible curved but they also make a 6"...

can get rigid as well... I have an 8" breaking and a 10" scimitar as well.

Reactions: Winterrider
Here is the one I use.... The Company is in Kansas City and supplies commercial packing plants, meat houses, and butcher shops. Basic no frills utility knife. Very good Steel though....$13 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/UltraSource-...rce+5+curve+blade+boning+knife,aps,128&sr=8-7

I think a member here mentioned it to me. I also talked to my buddy in Kansas; a friend of his is a Butcher and uses all Ultra Source Knives and recommends then highly.

I have a couple boning knives but just added this one to my Christmas list. Can never have too many!

https://www.amazon.com/UltraSource-Boning-Curved-Semi-Flexible-Polypropylene/dp/B00JPEMI20/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2BQZTRLWT8FCR&keywords=Ultra+Source+5"+curve+blade+boning+knife&qid=1701068378&sprefix=ultra+source+5+curve+blade+boning+knife,aps,128&sr=8-7

Had to order some vac bags so had to toss one in the cart, thanks !

I must be the odd one out, but I use my Henckels Four Star 8" Chef (I have 2 of them, 1 for just over 29 years now) for 95% of my trimming & processing. I have cut up Elk, many a deer, salmon, and many wild hogs with them.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky