just say no to boar's head

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
rummaging thru the meat store on my Friday shop. Eye round for $4.99/lb
Beats the heck out of $12.99 for boar's head. Also found a tri-tip for Sunday.

eye round.jpg

Boar's Head AINT what it used to be - it is just a "brand" now - owned by some corporation that is milking every fraction of a cent they can possibly squeeze out of "the brand."

Yep did a EOR a few weeks ago.....sliced it up thin for sammichs. Vac sealed and in the freezer. Better and a heck of a lot cheaper than what you can get out of the deli for $12/pd.

Jim

Reactions: mr mac
Used to be that whenever The Better 9/10ths was at the store she would buy some of the BH stuff for us. One day I bought a cheap EoR and she's never bought lunch meat again.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Yep did a EOR a few weeks ago.....sliced it up thin for sammichs. Vac sealed and in the freezer. Better and a heck of a lot cheaper than what you can get out of the deli for $12/pd.

Jim
Could not have said it better myself. My go to is to inject it with a beef broth/wursty combo, and put a Montreal Steak rub on it the day before I put it in the smoker. Once it's all said a sliced, I'll put it against Boars's Head any day of the week, and twice on Sunday!

Reactions: JLeonard
Boar's Head AINT what it used to be - it is just a "brand" now - owned by some corporation that is milking every fraction of a cent they can possibly squeeze out of "the brand."
I believe it is still owned by the descendants of the founder, so still a family business, not under some other corporate umbrella. A friend of mine recently retired from a career in quality control there. To hear her tell, they were obsessed with that. But yeah, the products can be eye-wateringly expensive.

I believe it is still owned by the descendants of the founder, so still a family business, not under some other corporate umbrella. A friend of mine recently retired from a career in quality control there. To hear her tell, they were obsessed with that. But yeah, the products can be eye-wateringly expensive.
There is no way they are still the same company/management/quality as when I was a kid back in NYC.

No Way.

Reactions: JLeonard
There is no way they are still the same company/management/quality as when I was a kid back in NYC.

No Way.
Sorry, but you're incorrect . Boar's Head is still owned and controlled by member's of the founding family, the Brunkhorsts. In the early 2000's they moved all of their primary operations from NYC to Sarasota, FL which, as I was told, was done to be closer to their largest customer, the Publix Super Market chain which has also has it's headquarters in Sarasota.

In 2000, I purchased a secondary home in Sarasota and a couple years later one of the family members purchased a home near mine and over time I became pretty well acquainted with him and his family though I wouldn't call them close friends. I sold my home in Sarasota about 4 years ago and bought another on Key Biscayne so I haven't had contact with them since then but I'm pretty sure they're still there.

Sorry, but you're incorrect . Boar's Head is still owned and controlled by member's of the founding family, the Brunkhorsts. In the early 2000's they moved all of their primary operations from NYC to Sarasota, FL which, as I was told, was done to be closer to their largest customer, the Publix Super Market chain which has also has it's headquarters in Sarasota.

In 2000, I purchased a secondary home in Sarasota and a couple years later one of the family members purchased a home near mine and over time I became pretty well acquainted with him and his family though I wouldn't call them close friends. I sold my home in Sarasota about 4 years ago and bought another on Key Biscayne so I haven't had contact with them since then but I'm pretty sure they're still there.

"Members" of the founding family are NOT the founding family. Like 98% of offspring that inherit enormous wealth without ever really doing much beside being born, they have ruined the great Boar's Head of my NY youth! Their products are proof of my thesis.

You know, (or maybe you do not?), Boar's Head used to actually make a beef navel Pastrami, and it was blanking awesome!

Every time I walk past a Boar's Head dried out assembly line roast beef-round, or, laughably, a package of "uncured" hot dogs (that have celery powder in them (the SOURCE of the nitrites used in curing salts) because there HAS to be preservatives in "preserved foods"), or a dried-out assembly-line chicken or turkey breast that has SALT as the primary ingredient, I am completely disgusted.

So, tell your former neighbor thanks, but no thanks. I can make a hundred times better roast beef on my spit roaster, not to mention a pastrami that will blow that fake-pastrami Boar's Head makes now, out of the water...

I will give you a pass because you may be too young to even know what good Boar's Head was. But Boar's Head today - is garbage. Just more mass produced processed food made for the lowest cost possible for the highest possible profit. The only thing that is the same, is the name/brand.

But wonderful dialoguing with you and I hope that you have a wonderful day sir! :emoji_sunglasses:

PS. I actually remember seeing the dark red Brunkhorst's trucks driving around the city making deliveries... For a time there were actually both Brunkhorst's and Boars Head trucks, and they were identical except for the name.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky