Chimichuri on Skirt????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Curious on Chimichuri on outside skirt as a "dressing".
On my meat voyage Friday, the local Latin meat place has Argentine outside skirt for $9.99/lb. ( which still irks the shit out of me since in the old days it was like $2.99/lb. i grabbed a 3lb bag since it was balled up and packaged that way.
I was pleased to get two "thick" slabs where only a palm full of fat needed to be trimmerd.
Its been in a bath for 24 hr.s will go on the blackstone about race time.
Now the chimichuri question. I can't imagine the flavor profile I've imagined from the recipes I've read would enhance a nice cut of beef.
I've always heard chimichuri had cilantro in it. two things that won't pass my lips are cilantro and coconut ( another story). So..... a non cilantro batch of
Chimichuri..... is it worth the effort? The slabs of skirt are almost 1/2" to 1" " thick, where it is usually see-thru when they cut and package it in he store.
TIA
john

I personally am a big fan of chimi. Though I prefer it on the side as a “dip”. My preference is with skirt or flank steak sliced thin…

But it makes phenomenal tacos as well with said cuts…

And you can substitute oregano and parsley for cilantro!

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
In my opinion Chimichurri goes well on most any roasted or grilled Beef.

Besides substituting different herbs or greens you can get creative with mild chiles, e.g. Shishito peppers.

And of course you can make Chimichurri Rojo (red) using red bell peppers or Fresno chiles and smoked paprika.

Or Mint Chimichurri or Gremolata for Lamb.

And there are variations good on pork, chicken and fish.

In my opinion Chimichurri goes well on most any roasted or grilled Beef.

Besides substituting different herbs or greens you can get creative with mild chiles, e.g. Shishito peppers.

And of course you can make Chimichurri Rojo (red) using red bell peppers or Fresno chiles and smoked paprika.

Or Mint Chimichurri or Gremolata for Lamb.

And there are variations good on pork, chicken and fish.

Nicely said John… I am an amateur at this stuff… just know enough to be dangerous! 😉

You Sir definitely know your craft!

Here's two from Bobby Flay:

Green Chimichurri
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
8 cloves garlic

Smokey Red Chimichurri
1 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon pureed chipotle in adobo
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Flat-leaf parsley leaves -- for garnish

Here's two from Bobby Flay:

Green Chimichurri
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup fresh oregano leaves
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
8 cloves garlic

Smokey Red Chimichurri
1 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon pureed chipotle in adobo
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Flat-leaf parsley leaves -- for garnish
Thank you. I'm another that despises the taste of cilantro.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Curious on Chimichuri on outside skirt as a "dressing".
On my meat voyage Friday, the local Latin meat place has Argentine outside skirt for $9.99/lb. ( which still irks the shit out of me since in the old days it was like $2.99/lb. i grabbed a 3lb bag since it was balled up and packaged that way.
I was pleased to get two "thick" slabs where only a palm full of fat needed to be trimmerd.
Its been in a bath for 24 hr.s will go on the blackstone about race time.
Now the chimichuri question. I can't imagine the flavor profile I've imagined from the recipes I've read would enhance a nice cut of beef.
I've always heard chimichuri had cilantro in it. two things that won't pass my lips are cilantro and coconut ( another story). So..... a non cilantro batch of
Chimichuri..... is it worth the effort? The slabs of skirt are almost 1/2" to 1" " thick, where it is usually see-thru when they cut and package it in he store.
TIA
john
Thanks all, for the input. Learned two things on this adventure. 3lbs of skirt cut into about six squares is a lot to manage and cook to my liking (Med. Rare) The "squares" ranged from really thin to thick-ish. The thin pieceswent on last, and still got way past medium. 24hr. bath, and SPG before grilling provided a marvelous "crust". We had company so all I did was slice and yell "come and get it. Since it was not pink inside, didn't think it was worty of pictures, but it sure ate good.
We had one "steak" left over, which will go good with mama's home made fettuccine alfredo tonight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky