Joined but never said Hello

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmokindogs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Sloan, NY - suburb of Buffalo
Howdy everybody!
I signed up here a couple months ago but never introduced myself. [emoji]128566[/emoji]

Originally from Mississippi I now call Buffalo, NY home. I'm new to smoking although I'm only a generation away from relying on a full-fledged smokehouse for meat throughout the winter.

My Mom regaled me with stories from her youth, hunting "bear grass" plants (a member of the Wort family) whenever my grandfather slaughtered a hog or cow. She and her siblings would harvest the tough, stringy blades, which have the consistency of palm leaves. Then they would cut slits in the cuts of meat, run the blades through the holes, and tie a knot so they could hang the meat in the smokehouse. They never had meat that they hadn't prepared, cured and smoked themselves.

I'm a long-time griller but only got my first smoker, a Brinkmann Smoke 'n Grill, last October. I only got to use it a couple of times before winter. I love it except for the tiny door for adding coals or smoking wood. Definitely a slip in an otherwise great design.

My wife bought me a MasterBuilt Pro Dual Fuel cabinet smoker for Father's Day and I just got it assembled this week. Looking forward to breaking it in this weekend!

I spent most of my working life in quick serve food service, primarily in the pizza business. But Mom didn't let any of her 6 boys reach puberty until we could cook from a recipe, do laundry and iron, and clean house. So we learned from a master.

My dad was career Army, an officer in the Corps of Engineers during WWII and Korea. Mom learned cooking styles from just about every corner of the globe and she taught us how to be flexible in our own cooking.

My wife is 100% Polish and comes from a long line of great cooks. She's a culinary instructor and has appeared on the Martha Stewart show for her Placek (Polish coffee cake). She has an impressive collection of ribbons from the Erie County Fair for baking and canning. She also specializes in authentic Mexican cooking and was the Buffalo News Cook of the Month. Yes, I'm very proud of her! You can watch the Martha Stewart video at YouTube.com/karensdelites

I've been disabled due to kidney failure since 2009 and now spend my time helping to caregive for my paraplegic mother-in-law. I also volunteer as a photographer for local events and work part-time as a computer repair technician for our municipal government and our neighbors.

We strive to always eat local and have a good-sized garden every year. We're both looking forward to adding awesome smoked meat to our repertoire and getting & giving help here!

Thanks for reading all this!

Welcome 

I grew up in Williamsville and then moved due east to Boston. 

Smoking up north is a trick, with temps that are not always conducive to steady heat.

If you have questions or need some helpful advice this is the site to come to.

You will find non-condescending help, tips and advice for just about anything related to smoking....

Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky