Jim Beam for Flavoring, or is There a Better Brand?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I thought Scotch was vile when I was in high school. That was because the brand I tried was Vat 69. I'm not sure it's even Scotch.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
What I find so fascinating about scotch is the WIDE variety of flavor elements that originate from such a relatively small part of the world. Scotch ranges from sweet and simple to salty, smoky, and grassy.

Heck, even learning how to spell it correctly is a challenge. There's no "e" in Scotch whisky. The world "scotch" is not capitalized if used to generically refer to the liquor like "I like (hate) scotch." But the word is capitalized if referencing the country of origin like Scotch whisky. And finally, only whisky distilled and bottled in Scotland can be called scotch. The Japanese have copied a lot of the Scottish distilling processes, but it isn't scotch; it is Japanese whisky (no "e").

Reactions: Fueling Around
Scotch regions.

image_20094312312121459.jpg

I capitalize it all the time because I just don't care. Some grammar rules are just too stupid to worry about. I'm supposed to capitalize "Southern" when write about fried chicken, but I'm not supposed to capitalize "Scotch" or "Bourbon"? I also deliberately fail to capitalize letters in the middle of words. I write "Youtube" all the time. One capital letter will just have to be enough.

I have a bottle of expensive scotch I need to get rid of. I bought Ardbeg Corryvreckan based on good reviews. It literally tastes like someone cleaned an ashtray with it. That is not an exaggeration. It's disgusting. I drank part of one shot and poured it out, and I paid almost $100 for it. Now the rest of it sits in a cupboard because it bothers me to pour that much money down the sink.

I went to a forum and asked people to recommend something similar to Lagavulin 16, and some person seriously recommended whisky that tastes like ashes. Must have lost his taste buds in some kind of accident. Maybe there are no similar whiskies.

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm not a big smoky scotch guy, but like a little smoke. I'd use that smoky scotch as an additive to a simple or flat tasting whiskey. Five to 10 drops in a glass can give a simple Irish whiskey like Bushmills a more complex flavor profile without overpowering the base.

Thanks for the suggestion, because there is absolutely no way to drink it straight. I can't understand why they make it.

Reactions: chopsaw
I deer hunt with a guy that drinks scotch out of the bottle . Can't do it in any form myself .

I have a bottle of expensive scotch I need to get rid of. I bought Ardbeg Corryvreckan based on good reviews. It literally tastes like someone cleaned an ashtray with it. That is not an exaggeration. It's disgusting. I drank part of one shot and poured it out, and I paid almost $100 for it. Now the rest of it sits in a cupboard because it bothers me to pour that much money down the sink.
Almost 40 years ago I got a bottle of heavy peat smoke infused scotch. Don't remember the label.I loved it for the occasional neat.
Girlfriend couldn't stand the smell and dumped the bottle. Grr.

This one doesn't taste like smoke at all. It tastes like ashes.

There is always a better brand. From my own experience, from low budget whiskey sector, I would recommend you Red Label. It's a great one with a unique flavor. Anyway, I am thinking from the point of an investor. You can read here how to make some profit from whiskey https://www.newbondstreetpawnbrokers.com/blog/whisky-investment-guide-2020/. Anyone can buy collectible whiskey, but certain factors will increase your profit margin. If you decide to purchase collectible whiskey, remember these tips to maximize your profit.

Last edited:
I doctor commercial bbq sauces, usually Sweet Baby Ray's original. I've doctored with bourbons, brandys, and Irish whiskies. Last year I picked up a bottle of Kirkland Canadian whiskey when I ran out of brandy. First time I added it to my doctored sauce, I added too much by mistake. Added the other ingredient (peach preserves), heated it all in the microwave, stirred it together, and took a taste. Wow! The maple flavor element of the Canadian whiskey was the perfect addition, better than anything I've used. Even my wife raved about it, and she's not a whisky drinker.

after extensive experimentation I have come to the conclusion:

when making BBQ sauce for an audience, use a name brand

when making it for yourself use the booze you don't like drinking :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky