January B-day smoke, need some reassurance please!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawinredneck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Wichita KS
I love my son, but I'm dreading this, sorry if that makes me a bad person! My boy asked me to smoke for his birthday, he'll be 11, and I couldn't say no. Problem is they boned the forecast, rather than being 54/34, it's going to be 34/17? So I want to make absolutely sure I've got my act together! I'd planned on being up all night smoking a brisket, but the largest my wife could get was a 10lb. Now dinner is at 6pm, so by my math if I put it on at 9am I've got a three hour cushion, but I don't trust the temps! It's just flat cold!
Any advice, suggestions, knowledge is MUCH appreciated, please and thank you!

The problem is, brisket like other meats has a mind of its own... It'll get done when it's done... A 10 lb'er ? I've seen threads of folks with 3-5 lb'ers that take 8+ hrs ! A three hour cushion seems like a lot, but trust me, it may not be enough.... What ya smoking the brisky in, what temp ? Ya planning on wrapping thru the stall ? Bunch of variables here....

No wrap, just low and slow. I'm hoping to hold 210-225 temps, but it's a stick burner and the temps are against me!

I gotcha, just my suggestion would be to start with more than enough time to spare... Cause don't forget the rest.... The rest is real important IMO & I rest my briskys an hour at a minimum! Just a suggestion, but there's a highly regarded member on here that is IMO the King of Brisky... Look up Gary S... He has a cook diary as well ! If ya have trouble finding it, I can post ya a link... You could always p.m. him too, he's a great guy, smokes brisky a lot & is a stick burner too... He's always happy to help anyone out !

Not arguing a rest at all, I want that time alotted as well, I've just never dealt with these kinds of temps, that's my big worry! Honestly, I'm about ready to fire it up and go just to be sure! Laugh all you want, but let's see you smoke brisket and ribs at 17deg!

Well I boned it! I set my alarm for 6am but I actually slept last night, finally, and slept right through it! I woke up at 8 and got the meat on at 9. I hope things go well!
It's certainly full!

Seems I've got the flu, been throwing up all day.
Pit temp, the two briskets, then the ribs, I ran them a bit higher than normal as I was busy praying to the porcelain God!
The ribs fresh off the smoker,

Mama says they smell dang good for what that counts for lol!

That's no good, hope ya get feelin better soon ! Ribs look tasty ! Thumbs Up

I apologize for how rude I must seem, I'm sorry! Thank you VERY MUCH for all your help with this!!! I'm really not feeling well, but that's no excuse for not being grateful! You provided good information and a great deal of support when I really needed it!

That's no good, hope ya get feelin better soon ! Ribs look tasty ! Thumbs Up

I apologize for how rude I must seem, I'm sorry! Thank you VERY MUCH for all your help with this!!! I'm really not feeling well, but that's no excuse for not being grateful! You provided good information and a great deal of support when I really needed it!

No worries, apology accepted... The Q looks tasty, nice job ! Thumbs Up

Nice job!  Hope you're feeling better.  Sorry I missed your thread, I've been under the weather this weekend also.  Pretty crappy weather!  

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky