100 lbs of Pulled Pork for the Homeless

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snakehead

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Round Rock, TX
First off, let me apologize in advance for such a long post, but I've now done the largest BBQ I’ve ever done - 100 lbs of Pork Butt for pulled pork sandwiches to feed the homeless in Austin, TX! I smoked them on Saturday as I knew they'd take a long time and I wanted to be sure it would be ready for Sunday morning at Church Under the Bridge downtown.

_nc_ohc=SO8sHoEqcHMAX_SqgYU&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg
Got the pork, now to rub 'em down!

_nc_ohc=5Q_zG3y72FMAX8of_xu&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg
Added a simple rub and ready to smoke!

_nc_ohc=EmuXnlsRwMwAX8sfQrC&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg
I used the Cabinet smoker that I purchased from my good friend @tx smoker, that he made himself!

_nc_ohc=WgOqLAbKOHIAX8ueqwk&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg
IMG_2694.jpeg

Also used my Kamado Joe and RecTec 700.
_nc_ohc=hYKO5nLWwYIAX8vtPN5&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg
IMG_2698.jpeg
Coming along nicely.
IMG_2705.jpeg Finally done, so I let it rest for a couple of hours and then began to pull.
IMG_2707.jpeg
I then covered it with foil and let it sit in the refrigerator over night. Got up early on Sunday, added some BBQ sauce and mixed it all in well.

IMG_2711.jpeg

Now let the feeding begin! This fed over 250 homeless, and I even had a whole tray and 1/4 left over to leave with them!

IMG_2713.jpeg IMG_2714.jpeg

It felt so good to be able to help out those less fortunate than myself. I think there are many people in America that are only a few pay checks away from being in this same place. Yes, some are suffering from mental issues, but I met a young man that is a nurse and is homeless, living out of his Mercedes because nobody will rent to him because he was evicted from his last place! I also quite sadly met a woman from Honduras who can't get a job and is homeless with her two very young children who were sweet as can be; breaks your heart to see this sort of stuff.

After now doing this twice (in April I made a huge 10 gallon pot of homemade spaghetti), I've come to realize that there isn't really a shortage of food in this country, but a shortage in logistics of getting food to the people who desperately need it and I bet it's the same in other countries as well. Let's all work to make a difference for others!
+11

All reactions:
54Michelle Bailey, Steven Carroll Cannon and 52 others

Wow, amazing work sir. Did you do this yourself? I also love the feeling I get being able to help people. This society has blessed me with too much for me to sit and hoard it. I agree with you on the logistics problem. I have wanted to plan a cook myself but just getting equipment to where I needed it was a nightmare.

Hat tip to you for sure.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: forktender
Wow, amazing work sir. Did you do this yourself? I also love the feeling I get being able to help people. This society has blessed me with too much for me to sit and hoard it. I agree with you on the logistics problem. I have wanted to plan a cook myself but just getting equipment to where I needed it was a nightmare.

Hat tip to you for sure.

JC :emoji_cat:
Mostly JC in GB JC in GB , I smoked it, but luckily my girlfriend helped me with pulling it as my arms and hands were getting tired!

First off, let me apologize in advance for such a long post, but I've now done the largest BBQ I’ve ever done - 100 lbs of Pork Butt for pulled pork sandwiches to feed the homeless in Austin, TX! I smoked them on Saturday as I knew they'd take a long time and I wanted to be sure it would be ready for Sunday morning at Church Under the Bridge downtown.

View attachment 672226
View attachment 672227
View attachment 672228
I used the Cabinet smoker that I purchased from my good friend @tx smoker, that he made himself!
View attachment 672229
View attachment 672219
View attachment 672230
View attachment 672220
Coming along nicely.
View attachment 672221Finally done, so I let it rest for a couple of hours and then began to pull.
View attachment 672222
I then covered it with foil and let it sit in the refrigerator over night. Got up early on Sunday, added some BBQ sauce and mixed it all in well.
View attachment 672223
Now let the feeding begin! This fed over 250 homeless, and I even had a whole tray and 1/4 left over to leave with them!
View attachment 672224View attachment 672225
It felt so good to be able to help out those less fortunate than myself. I think there are many people in America that are only a few pay checks away from being in this same place. Yes, some are suffering from mental issues, but I met a young man that is a nurse and is homeless, living out of his Mercedes because nobody will rent to him because he was evicted from his last place! I also quite sadly met a woman from Honduras who can't get a job and is homeless with her two very young children who were sweet as can be; breaks your heart to see this sort of stuff.
After now doing this twice (in April I made a huge 10 gallon pot of homemade spaghetti), I've come to realize that there isn't really a shortage of food in this country, but a shortage in logistics of getting food to the people who desperately need it and I bet it's the same in other countries as well. Let's all work to make a difference for others!
+11

All reactions:
Bless you!

Reactions: DonP
Getting biblical here...but we are commanded to do exactly what you did. Kudos for the effort!

Mar 12:31 ... You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Nice gesture. There are always hungry people. Good for you and the others who helped.

God Bless You. I agree alot of us are a breath away from losing it and alot of those that have lost it was no fault of their own. I have been on the edge myself.
Business they worked for goes under because that sector is down, so no other jobs etc the list goes on.

Well done.

Man that’s awesome!
My hat goes off to all you involved. It’s a shame about the logistics but I feel you. We have to dodge the county here. They try to shut it down. It’s crazy. They want you to get permits for an event each time to give it away. But they let the tamale vendors stand on side of road selling out of the trunk of their car. Can’t make sense out of nonsense.

Awesome job nothing like helping those in need. The feeling you have after doing this is just so soul crushing. Been there and done that many times.

Warren

View attachment 672226
View attachment 672227
View attachment 672228
View attachment 672229
View attachment 672219
View attachment 672230
View attachment 672220
Coming along nicely.
View attachment 672221Finally done, so I let it rest for a couple of hours and then began to pull.
View attachment 672222
View attachment 672223
View attachment 672224View attachment 672225
+11

All reactions:
Hats off to you

Wow - I am awed by your compassion and generosity - and in this heat.

I am reminded of what the greatest moral teacher that has ever lived, taught: "Feed the hungry, Help the poor and, Protect the weak."

You are an exceptional human, sir.

Last edited:
WOW. Great cook and that's awesome for everyone involved.

Strong work, nice smoking, and great to see it helping those in need. Thank you for what you did!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky