100 lbs of Pulled Pork for the Homeless

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The smallest gesture for someone in need can mean so much and change their out look on life .

NICE

Most AWESOME of you and to the others that helped to feed homeless.

Wow, amazing work sir. Did you do this yourself? I also love the feeling I get being able to help people. This society has blessed me with too much for me to sit and hoard it. I agree with you on the logistics problem. I have wanted to plan a cook myself but just getting equipment to where I needed it was a nightmare.

Hat tip to you for sure.

JC :emoji_cat:
I seasoned and smoked it all myself, but had to get some help from my girlfriend with all the pulling as my hands and arms were getting tired! They had some people from churches help with the serving as well. What I did was smoke it all and shred it at my house on Saturday, then covered the foil trays with heavy duty foil and put it in my refrigerator out in the garage until the morning. Then, I got up early, heated it up at 350 in my ovens until it was nice and warm, then mixed in some BBQ sauce, re-covered them and too them downtown to serve it.

What an awesome gesture my friend. No doubt that the world could use a few (million) more people like you. A truly humanitarian gesture buddy. I'm about half surprised that the Austin American Statesman was not there to do a story about the event.
I am reminded of what the greatest moral teacher that has ever lived, taught: "Feed the hungry, Help the poor and, Protect the weak."

You are an exceptional human, sir.
How very true. I've had the honor of being friends with Gerald for over 15 years and can honestly attest to the truth in this statement. He has always been a generous and giving person but this is going to a whole new level.

Robert

Reactions: Retired Spook
In case anyone is wondering what's caused me to want to do this, this is one of my ways of giving back. I had an accident in which I [literally] died 2 1/2 years ago and I'm a walking miracle as you'd never know it if you met me on the streets, but I fell 9 1/2 feed head first off the roof of my house onto my patio and I had double concussion with a brain clot. I also broke my neck, my back, 7 ribs and completely shattered 2 bones in one of my hands (that's why my hands got tired pulling all that meat! LOL). My kids heard all the commotion and came running outside to find me laying in a pool of blood, my daughter called 911 and my son checked me and I had no pulse and I wasn't breathing, so he began CPR and I finally came back to life just as the ambulance was arriving. I ended up in ICU for 2 1/2 weeks and while I'm still recovering, I'm doing pretty darn well. I believe I'm here today because I still have a purpose! I finally figured out that I have some gifts (technology & cooking) for a reason, and then I saw that Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters made BBQ for the homeless in LA, which led me to wanting to do this!

I hope a lot of other people can do something like this if they're so inclined. Don't over-think it, you can take the food to others like I did, you don't have to cook it there. I will tell you that I met some people there who's stories are heart-breaking.

Last edited:
That is so good of you to do. I have never cooked for the homeless but donate to our local food bank whenever I can. Also no need to apologize for the length of that post. Wasn't that long and wouldn't have minded at all if it was longer.

Very kind of you and great job!
A buddy of mines wife runs a food pantry for the county to the north of me. They started doing a wild game feast that has continually grown every year! The way it works, you take your favorite dish and enter it into the contest. If you bring a dish the admittance is free or discounted for you. If not you are charged. You can byob or buy drinks there. There are side raffles and silent auctions too. There is a huge gathering and an amazing amount of the some of the best food you will ever try! Guys really took off with it since it is for a good cause and the chance to win (beat on your chest moment!) one of the categories! They completely make their proposed quota plus some every year!
I havent made it in several years due to it always being on sat night right in the middle of high school basketball season, but cant wait to rejoin it here in a couple years!

Kudos for folks like you trying to make a difference!

God Bless you for honoring the homeless. This is the best meal for those people in a long while. Pulled pork is so inexpensive to provide bit its time and labor intensive. Great stuff !!!

RG

Very kind of you and great job!
A buddy of mines wife runs a food pantry for the county to the north of me. They started doing a wild game feast that has continually grown every year! The way it works, you take your favorite dish and enter it into the contest. If you bring a dish the admittance is free or discounted for you. If not you are charged. You can byob or buy drinks there. There are side raffles and silent auctions too. There is a huge gathering and an amazing amount of the some of the best food you will ever try! Guys really took off with it since it is for a good cause and the chance to win (beat on your chest moment!) one of the categories! They completely make their proposed quota plus some every year!
I havent made it in several years due to it always being on sat night right in the middle of high school basketball season, but cant wait to rejoin it here in a couple years!

Kudos for folks like you trying to make a difference!

Thats awesome, and thanks! I obtained a LOT of Axis Deer that I now have in my freezer and plan to do a smoke a huge Axis Deer ham/roasts later this week and will try to add it to the forum too if I get a chance!

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Thats awesome, and thanks! I obtained a LOT of Axis Deer that I now have in my freezer and plan to do a smoke a huge Axis Deer ham/roasts later this week and will try to add it to the forum too if I get a chance!
For sure! Post it up!

Pure awesomeness right there.

Point for sure
Chris

You are both lucky (from surviving that accident) and a true humanitarian. Looking at the photos, you were distributing that pork from under the I35 bridge in Austin? ...across from the police HQ? All that concrete just makes it like a sauna!

Good for you! I think a lot of us take food for granted. Its a basic daily thing for us all, but when you don't know where your next meal is coming from it is a huge anxiety. Nothing brings people together like good food, and nothing comes close to good barbeque.

I'm sure it was well received and I'm sure those you served know you really cared.

Keep up the good work!!

Bless you. This post is the best thing I have read in weeks. Like you, there are a lot of good people among us. It is nice to hear about them!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky