I've Died And Gone To Bacon Heaven!!! Baconnaise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow, that is an impressive inspiration. Sounds absolutely wonderful. That must go on to my must try list.

JC :emoji_cat:

IDS, I can almost smell/taste it from here,looks divine !
Thank you sir! Words can not describe how awesome homemade baconnaise is.....you just gotta try it.
Wow, that is an impressive inspiration. Sounds absolutely wonderful. That must go on to my must try list.

JC :emoji_cat:
Thanks JC! Yes....MUST try list!!!!!

Reactions: JC in GB
Being of german descent, bacon grease is used for ALL sorts of stuff. Very common here to see little crock next to toaster filled with bacon grease and bits for slathering on your toast. Griebenschmalz is the fancy term/recipe for it. A "healthy" LOL scoop or 2 goes in kraut, soups, etc and here we rock bacon salad dressing often in the summer. Congrats on the find!

WHOA BABY!! That sounds simply amazing Keith. Needless to say, I gotta try this. Question though. Is there a substitute for the potassium sorbate? I have a bunch of stuff for sausage making but this is one ingredient I'm lacking. Guaranteed though, I will be making this.
Oh my god.....get me a spoon
And a syringe?
I didn't know I needed til these ENABLERS got ahold of me.
They do have a way of doing that, don't they?

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Being of german descent, bacon grease is used for ALL sorts of stuff. Very common here to see little crock next to toaster filled with bacon grease and bits for slathering on your toast. Griebenschmalz is the fancy term/recipe for it. A "healthy" LOL scoop or 2 goes in kraut, soups, etc and here we rock bacon salad dressing often in the summer. Congrats on the find!
Thanks zwiller! Do they make mayonnaise with bacon fat in Germany? Is that a thing? I too put bacon grease on damn near everything....just never thought of it as a fat for making mayo.

Reactions: zwiller
WHOA BABY!! That sounds simply amazing Keith. Needless to say, I gotta try this. Question though. Is there a substitute for the potassium sorbate? I have a bunch of stuff for sausage making but this is one ingredient I'm lacking. Guaranteed though, I will be making this.

And a syringe?

They do have a way of doing that, don't they?

Robert
Thanks Robert,
Baconnaise is awesome!

Potassium Sorbate is a commercially sold preservative. You can use sodium EDTA as well....either/or will work but the potassium sorbate is easier to source I find. It's not necessary if you will consume the mayo within 7-10 days as the acid from the lemon drops the pH to a safe level, and the water activity is low becasue there is not much water left in the rendered bacon fat.....The potassium sorbate is insurance......

Well, I looked it up chopsaw chopsaw ,

do.com%2FproductImages%2F544%2F544807011_0_640x640.jpg

Vegan eh?? No bacon fat then......must be artificially flavored.

I wasn't trying to negate your thread . I figured you knew it was a " thing " sold commercially . Like I said above , I'm sure homemade is the way to go , and your thread gives us a formula to follow . Several brands out there .
1687301065039.png

Reactions: indaswamp
I wasn't trying to negate your thread . I figured you knew it was a " thing " sold commercially . Like I said above , I'm sure homemade is the way to go , and your thread gives us a formula to follow . Several brands out there .
View attachment 668543
No, I seriously did not know it was made commercially... I wonder how much actual bacon fat is in the commercial stuff???

I'd think this would pair well with some bacon jam in a homemade bun for a burger! RAY

Thanks zwiller! Do they make mayonnaise with bacon fat in Germany? Is that a thing? I too put bacon grease on damn near everything....just never thought of it as a fat for making mayo.
When I read your post I got the impression it was the first time you used bacon grease before. Glad to see that's not the case! I can see using baconaise for things but pretty happy with our BLTs. That said we salt and pepper the tomatoes (I prefer WP and wife like BP) and also make them early in the day and wrap each in saran so it marries a bit and softens up the toast. That being said, there was a homemade mayo thread and dead set on making some and thanks for the sorbate info as that was not discussed there! I plan to SV to pasteurize the eggs. First run will be 2 SV'd yolks added to a jar of Hellmans and stick blend and then maybe homemade all the way. Dang extra heavy stuff mayo (the good stuff) only sold in gallons...

Reactions: chopsaw

Robert
Robert, you can buy small amounts of potassium sorbate at any home brewing (wine, beer) store. It is used to kill yeast when you bottle.
Gary

Yes! Homemade Bacon Mayonnaise....a.k.a. Baconnaise!!!
View attachment 668386
Holy Crap! I'm kind of pissed this has NOT been in my life before now!!! Today is probably the greatest culinary day of my life with this discovery! Total Bacon Nirvana....Bacon Flavor Bomb...Flavor overload....It's like Mardi Gras in Flavor town!!!

Very simple. Only 4 ingredients (with an optional 5th)
View attachment 668393
Bacon Mayonnaise, a.k.a. Baconnaise

2 cups slightly warmed bacon grease (80-90*F) 413grams
The juice of 1 fresh lemon 30-35g.
2 whole eggs; plus one extra yolk 137g. (Must be at room temperature)
1/4 tsp. dark brown sugar (if the lemon is not sweet)

0.1% (0.58g.) potassium sorbate (optional preservative for long shelf life in refrigerator; and for any weee beastie bacteria in the raw egg.)
View attachment 668382

Can put the eggs in warm water for 15 minutes to warm...
View attachment 668392

Add 2 cracked eggs plus one yolk to a 1 qt. container.
View attachment 668383

juice lemon in a small bowl and add potassium sorbate (stir to dissolve)
View attachment 668384

pour lemon juice mix into 1 quart container
pulse blend with immersion blender 2-3 seconds
pour/spoon slightly melted bacon grease into quart container
blend with immersion blender starting at bottom of container and raise blender slowly to emulsify....blend no more than 10-15 seconds.
View attachment 668385
Done! Enjoy the Awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View attachment 668390

Yes...I went there....Baconnaise BLT!!! WOW!!!
View attachment 668388
View attachment 668389
View attachment 668391
Definitely gotta try this!

I'd think this would pair well with some bacon jam in a homemade bun for a burger! RAY

Congratulations Keith, you just won the RECIPE OF THE CENTURY award!!
Now I just gotta fry up about 4 1/4 pounds of bacon--I'm running short on bacon grease.
Gary

Definitely gotta try this!
Thanks Guys!

Here's one for ya. I read about this one, in all places, in a Stephen King novel. Bread, just sliced bread, fried up in bacon grease. Guess who tried it? Yes, yes I did. It was a bit.....much. BUT I did discover that bacon grease is perfectly acceptable as a butter substitute for grilled cheese sandwiches. Much better than subbing in mayo IMO

Now frying a canned biscuit in bacon grease is A #1 primo OK. It doesn't soak it up like a slice of bread.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky