It's now known as pALstrami in my house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HushyQ

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2023
Cleveland, Ohio
I have thought about pastrami almost every day since my first attempt at SmokinAls pastrami recipe. Thanks again Al. In fact, it shall be known as pALstrami in my house from now on, lol. Decided to make a bunch this time so I picked up a choice packer and an angus packer to see if I could tell a difference. Also purchased my first vac sealer to see if that made a difference instead of ziplock bagging it. I definitely think it made it better.
Cut 2 nice size pieces from each and used most of the points for sausage. I did make one BIG mistake. I couldn't find any whole coriander in the grocery stores near me so I decided to buy some on amazon cause I needed it overnight. What I got was terrible. No flavor at all. Threw it out and will definitely go back to a spice co. Followed Al's recipe except for the rub.
Corned Beef Sliced.jpg

Corned Beef n Swiss melts.jpg

Figured I'd just make corned beef with one of the flats. Sliced it thin on the old, cheap, reliable Cabelas slicer.
Rubbed n Ready for smoke.jpg

The other 3 went on the Treager for 3 1/2 hours at 80-90 degrees with 2 tubes.
pALstrami begin cold smoke.jpg

Then 225 till 195 IT
first to finish pALstrami.jpg

pALstrami Angus point end.jpg
pALstrami  2.jpg
pALstrami #3.jpg

cut shot 3.jpg

Yeah, I sliced it with for the 1st 3. Didn't matter though it still melted. My entire family thanks you Al!!!!! My waistband curses you.

Looks great, and I could go for one or 2 of the sandwiches also.
Your sliced shots are very drool worthy.

My first time I followed Al's way also. It turned out amazing.

I was looking forward to doing 3 pork loins into pastrami this week end, my fridge had other ideas.

David

Reactions: HushyQ
Good looking pastrami.
I picked up a choice packer and an angus packer to see if I could tell a difference.
Remember, Angus is a breed of cow whereas choice is a grade. When buying grocery store beef or big box store beef, you'll almost always be buying Angus, regardless of the grade. So buy by grade...USDA Choice or higher. CAB is a good option if it's available as the cows must meet strict requirements to qualify for the brand, but it comes with a higher price.

1713875992311.png

My kind of sandwich, piled high...😋 I'd gladly devour one of these...

Reactions: JLeonard and HushyQ
Remember, Angus is a breed of cow whereas choice is a grade. When buying grocery store beef or big box store beef, you'll almost always be buying Angus, regardless of the grade. So buy by grade...USDA Choice or higher. CAB is a good option if it's available as the cows must meet strict requirements to qualify for the brand, but it comes with a higher price.
Thanks for that reminder GS. I did not notice a grade on the packer labeled Certified Angus beef from our Restaurant Depot. Of course, I'm getting less and less observant in my old age too. I will check the next time I am there but for sure it is not Prime. The only place in my neck of the woods to get Prime is Costco. And that is only sometimes. I am so jealous of you Texans. I was flabbergasted when I made my first HEB visit.
Thanks for all the kind words guys!!!! Really just posting to encourage those who have not made pastrami before to try it Als way. So much easier to me and much less room in the fridge than the brine method I used to use. And as my wife says, "Waaaay better than brisket". That's the only praise that matters in the end. She has now given me my own "pALstrami corner of the fridge for whenever I feel the urge. Which is pretty much always.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks delicious. Great work. I'm gonna do this in the near future. I've done Al's method 2 times, first one came out great.

Thanks guys!!!! The only thing I changed was my rub because I love the cracked coriander crust. Makes me even happier when you can see it in my smile. That is when the coriander isn't from 1972. Uhggg.

Tip - Check out a Mexican/Hispanic/International grocery market in your area. They always have whole coriander, as well as other good spices and peppers that are difficult to find in the guero stores.

Reactions: HushyQ
Tip - Check out a Mexican/Hispanic/International grocery market in your area. They always have whole coriander, as well as other good spices and peppers that are difficult to find in the guero stores.
Great tip woody!!!!! I go to the asian market but never been to the hispanic market. Found one relatively close too. Thanks man!!!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky