It's a Venison night

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eaglewing

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 4, 2008
St. Louis MO
Thanks to Buckeyedude Buckeyedude , I did some backstrap and a 50/50 beef/venison Meatloaf.

Took everything out of freezer and it was thawed in no time.
Backstraps were coated in a mustard ham glaze for a binder, and completely surrounded with the rub in the pic.

20230422_135639.jpg

2 lbs Meatloaf prepped:

20230422_140520.jpg

20230422_141120.jpg

Sitting in my Rachel Ray Meatloaf Rig....
Everything on the Traeger @ 400°, probes in the loins

Loins done in no time, both finished almost exact temp together

20230422_170834.jpg

The BARK on these was unreal, I couldn't stop eating them.
The wife and I never left the counter, we POUNDED these things!!!

20230422_171057.jpg

20230422_171931.jpg

Best I've ever made, again THANK YOU Buckeyedude!!!

The meatloaf is taking it's time, the thing I like about the Rachel Ray meatload pan is it lifts out once the meat takes shape... and I usually finish the cook this way till done!

20230422_172426.jpg

We are gonna hit this meatloaf hard too...
Damn good deer night I must say!!!

Wow that backstrap looks unreal! And the glaze and rub sound excellent on it, never saw that glaze before. Very nicely done!!

Reactions: eaglewing
Both cooks look scrumptious! The meatloaf in particular has me wishing I had some handy to eat right now. I doubt I would be able to leave the countertop with that loin either! Looks delicious!

• Haha
THANKS for the comments everyone, it was fun having a successful multi-cook night. Goin' back for leftovers now!!!

Great job! Looks fantastic! I love it when pieces start magically flying into your mouth as you start slicing it up!.........

• Haha
Ive never had a bad experience with Hi Mountain! All their stuff is great!
That all looks real tasty, nice job! I’m a big fan of the Hi Mountain seasonings!

That's great to hear, I loved it too... I have several of their "jerky making" kits... can't wait to try them out.
I'm a big fan because I think they know there stuff when it comes to venison.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
That's great to hear, I loved it too... I have several of their "jerky making" kits... can't wait to try them out.

They absolutely know their stuff… been using their products… mainly the jerky kits for over 20 years… they are just over the Teton Mountain Range from me….

Just a heads up and take this for what it’s worth… I always go a bit lighter on the blend they suggest, when sprinkling on the meat… but let it rest and cure a couple days!

But that being said, some folks like sodium… I have to watch it… They are now coming out with some low sodium blends…

Just a heads up and take this for what it’s worth… I always go a bit lighter on the blend they suggest, when sprinkling on the meat… but let it rest and cure a couple days!

But that being said, some folks like sodium… I have to watch it… They are now coming out with some low sodium blends…
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind myself. :emoji_ok_hand:

By far my favorite jerky mixes! Just follow their directions and your golden every time!

Man does that look good. Great smoke! Guy on the river gave some venison. I cooked backstrap and took some to him last week. Made stew yesterday and taking it today. Meat loaf next week.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky