Issue at COSTCO today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nygiant

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 25, 2015
VA
Been going through a real hard time recently with a sick child who is receiving care out of state with my wife right now. They’ve been gone for over five weeks. H s had issues for 7 years now and it has really worn me (and my wife) down to the bones. Just feeling bad and stressed out so I figured I’d go and walk around Costco just to chill out for a little bit and maybe purchase a few things. Huge fan of Costco and spend a lot of money there over the course of a year. I’ve never had a bad experience and everything I get from there is top notch.

Well anyway I’m walking in today probably about 45 minutes before closing time and there were still people coming in. There’s a big fat black guy wearing a Covid mask checking membership cards. I show him my card, he looks at me, nods his head and I say thanks. I walked past him about 10 to 15 feet as I’m putting my card back into my wallet. I hear this loud, sir!, Sir!. I’m thinking to myself, is the guy talking to me? so I turned around and he’s looking straight at me.

I said, yes, he says, do you have a firearm on you? Mind you, he’s speaking pretty loud because I’m at least 15 feet away and everyone is looking at me. My first instinct was to lift my shirt all the way up to my chest and turn around and I said, No. He’s like oh OK I thought I saw a bulge.

I walk into the store and I could feel my hands start shaking and my head and ears getting very hot. I’m already not doing good and this just put me over the top. I walked over, past the registers and asked to speak to a manager. Some guy who had a name tag on and the title general manager under his name, asked me what happened. When I explained it to him, he said oh no I’m sorry. I said, why would he do that? He said well, as you know, we have a policy of no firearms and if he thought he saw something that’s why he asked you. I said that’s not acceptable I know what the policy is. If I was carrying an open carry firearm on my side, then I understand. But who is he and what training does he have to try to decipher who’s carrying a concealed firearm. He’s like well he used to work security a long time ago and from what I know he’s pretty accurate. I said you tell me exactly what training he has through Costco and what your specific policy is with regards to people asking members out in the open. He started to stutter and then backtrack.

I then said this is absolutely unacceptable. What’s going to be done about this? He’s like well, I guess I will have a talk with him. I said that’s not good enough. I’m not going away until I’m assured, this is going to be taken care of. This is embarrassing and how he did it was extremely unprofessional. I said if my wife was with me and he thought she had a bulge, what is she supposed to do? Lift her shirt up to her bra and show everybody? I said I want to make a formal complaint. He ended up walking me into some back office and I filled out some paperwork and he said this will go to the store manager and we will talk with him and someone will follow up with you. He asked me if there’s anything that I want. I said no I’m not here to take anything from you. I don’t even know what you’re referring to. He tried to offer me a pizza or a drink from the food court and I declined.

What is your take on this and how it happened? I was just taken off guard and in total shock. I guess I could’ve just said none of your business and kept walking. What was he going to do? Throw me up against the wall and frisk me? I did respond back to him right after he asked, and I said well maybe I should carry one considering all the crime that’s going on nowadays, and he just caught his head to the side. At any rate, figured I’d post because I’m still irritated four hours later

Once he asked the question, I would have turned around and proceeded into the store. If Barny Fife decided to accost me, I'd file assault charges. That said, I don't think I have ever been in Costco, or any other store without a pistol in my hip pocket.

Once he asked the question, I would have turned around and proceeded into the store. If Barny Fife decided to accost me, I'd file assault charges. That said, I don't think I have ever been in Costco, or any other store without a pistol in my hip pocket.
Yeah that’s a good point you make. I should’ve just smiled and kept walking and what was he going to do? The guy must have weighed 350 pounds and had a cane. But I’m an honest person… Probably too honest and honest to a fault. I lifted my shirt up and did a 360. Who else would’ve done that? But again I wasn’t really thinking clearly.

Here's my take (no offense): get over it. Since this occurred as you walked away, maybe your shirt was rumpled from getting your wallet or something and just looked suspicious. Mistakes happen. It's a human thing. You have enough on your mind with your child and wife to be angry over someone just doing their job.

I'm always carrying.
What? They want you disarmed and at the mercy of some mental case?
They will not protect you or your family.
Screw them.

I'd just walked on, ignored him like I never heard him.
He could be talking to anybody.
What's he gonna do, lay hands on you?
And if he insists, still don't answer, just leave, or do exactly what you did.
It's obvious they know you were the one holding the winning hand.

If asked to leave, leave.
No need to get a trespassing charge.

They've their Rights as private property and you've technically agreed in a contract to honor their rules when you signed up.

You handled it well.
I'm of the idea their doorman will keep his hunches to himself from now on.
And if and when you go back, if he's there, watch his face.
You'll know if he got lectured or not on the matter.
And if he says or does anything out of line, then demand his head on a platter... J/K.

If asked to leave, leave.
No need to get a trespassing charge.
That's my policy, but it has never happened in all the years I've been carrying, although most businesses around here could care less if you are or not.

They've their Rights as private property and you've technically agreed in a contract to honor their rules when you signed up.
Absolutely true, and if asked to leave, I would comply.

A wanna be card checker having flashbacks of previous job titles lol

Reactions: nygiant
Dude, I am sorry that you are having tough issues that you are having to deal with right now. No one would want to have to go through that. The problem was that you brought your baggage with you into Costco and were already ready to snap. You let a simple request that was reasonable take you over the edge.

In CA most employees are still required to wear masks believe it or not, even though most customers do not anymore. Some do but if that is your thing go for it I guess.

I hope you can now look back and reflect on it and realize that the actions of others are not directed at you but for the whole community you live in.

Now back to cooking meat.

Dude, I am sorry that you are having tough issues that you are having to deal with right now. No one would want to have to go through that. The problem was that you brought your baggage with you into Costco and were already ready to snap. You let a simple request that was reasonable take you over the edge.

In CA most employees are still required to wear masks believe it or not, even though most customers do not anymore. Some do but if that is your thing go for it I guess.

I hope you can now look back and reflect on it and realize that the actions of others are not directed at you but for the whole community you live in.

Now back to cooking meat.
I agree whole heartedly.

That is not a policy of the Costco chain. Not sure if individual stores have the leeway to set their own policy, but generally stores have to prominently post ‘no guns’ signs at the entrance if they want to enforce that. I’ve not seen such signs at any NJ Costcos, even though this is not a 2nd amendment-friendly state

That is not a policy of the Costco chain. Not sure if individual stores have the leeway to set their own policy, but generally stores have to prominently post ‘no guns’ signs at the entrance if they want to enforce that. I’ve not seen such signs at any NJ Costcos, even though this is not a 2nd amendment-friendly state
Costco has always had a no gun policy. You agreed to it when you signed up for your membership.

Sounds like you and your family are going thru some tough times and I'm sorry to hear that, but you can't get mad at the card checker for doing his job. Would you have reacted the same way if it was a 70 yr. old white woman who asked or how about a young high school kid. A simple no sir i'm not carrying a weapon probably would have sufficed. Maybe just a simple pat on the bulge showing him there isn't anything there. You need to take a step back and a deep breath. You and your family don't need any added stress at this time.

If you walked away without responding as others have suggested to his request the store would have probably called the police, and I'm sure that's a call your wife doesn't need at this time, or any.

If you can legally carry open or concealed, and choose too, knock yourself out!

I fully support the 2nd Amendment.

However, you are also responsible for following any rules specified in membership agreements etc.

Second Amendment aside, you are fully justified in demanding respect from employees in those places you do business.

The store employee was more than likely doing what he/she was obligated to do.

If you took issue with how the employee did it, you are fully within your rights to question that.

Don't take it personally, unless you have proof that you were the exception, not the rule.

Sorry you are going through stuff but can't agree with you on this one. Private businesses have the rights to allow or not allow you in their business and it is a sign of the times. While you were not carrying and did not represent a risk, someone else may have and would be. Soon the card checkers will need to be monitoring weapons detectors and metal detectors like going to a concert or sporting event so EVERYONE gets subjected to the intrusions. It's not you, its America (some think its good, others not so much). Between thefts and guns our retail stores are becoming like fortresses and it sucks for customers and retailers. I am off to Europe again and let me tell you, it is not the same over there.

Sounds like you and your family are going thru some tough times and I'm sorry to hear that, but you can't get mad at the card checker for doing his job. Would you have reacted the same way if it was a 70 yr. old white woman who asked or how about a young high school kid. A simple no sir i'm not carrying a weapon probably would have sufficed. Maybe just a simple pat on the bulge showing him there isn't anything there. You need to take a step back and a deep breath. You and your family don't need any added stress at this time.

If you walked away without responding as others have suggested to his request the store would have probably called the police, and I'm sure that's a call your wife doesn't need at this time, or any.
Yes, I would have reacted the same exact way, regardless of what the door checker looked like. I simply described him to paint a picture of the story I was telling. It felt like an invasion of privacy and a serious accusation made against me in front of at least a dozen people, as if I was on a stage with a spotlight on me. To say he’s doing his job as others have said, I’m not so sure about that. Is it his job to determine who’s carrying a gun and who’s not and then announce it to everybody while asking you if you have one out in the open? I think his membership duties are the only thing he is supposed to be checking. If you have an open carry gun on the outside of your shirt, strapped across your back, then yeah he can make a point to tell you no guns no entry. But to make presumptuous accusations, based simply on the fact “he used to work security“ according to the general manager I spoke to his total BS. What if it was some old lady or high school kid like you said? Neither one of them ever worked Security so then they’re not gonna ask the question, are you carrying a gun? Right? That’s the point I’m making, this guy tried to profile and failed miserably in the way he handled It.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Sorry you are going through stuff but can't agree with you on this one. Private businesses have the rights to allow or not allow you in their business and it is a sign of the times. While you were not carrying and did not represent a risk, someone else may have and would be. Soon the card checkers will need to be monitoring weapons detectors and metal detectors like going to a concert or sporting event so EVERYONE gets subjected to the intrusions. It's not you, its America (some think its good, others not so much). Between thefts and guns our retail stores are becoming like fortresses and it sucks for customers and retailers. I am off to Europe again and let me tell you, it is not the same over there.
I agree with much of what you said,
and you're right, it isn't the same over there.

I have never been stopped by law enforcement armed with Uzis and other automatic weapons here in the United States, but it was a regular event in Germany and France.

I don't want that experience in America.

Reactions: chopsaw
If you can legally carry open or concealed, and choose too, knock yourself out!

I fully support the 2nd Amendment.

However, you are also responsible for following any rules specified in membership agreements etc.

Second Amendment aside, you are fully justified in demanding respect from employees in those places you do business.

The store employee was more than likely doing what he/she was obligated to do.

If you took issue with how the employee did it, you are fully within your rights to question that.

Don't take it personally, unless you have proof that you were the exception, not the rule.
Yes, I agree with what you posted. Makes 100% sense. However, I’ve been going there for over a decade and have never seen anybody question in the manner. I was question. Now I wasn’t standing at the door hours a day every day, just when I go there, which is only a few seconds going through the entry. I have never heard of nor see. anywhere on any of the forms I’m a member of, anyone posting about being questioned like that. So to say I feel like I was singled out, from my perspective, yes, that’s how I feel.

From the general manager’s mouth “this guy used to work Security” I feel that was the basis for it. The guy was pretending he was working the door at a concert venue or some nightclub and failed miserably yesterday. Not only was he 100% wrong in assuming what he thought he saw, he did it very unprofessionally.

Last edited:
I'm about as pro gun as you can get. Bought an old beater 9 when I was in the 12th grade and upgraded a year later to a nice .44, then after trying to conceal that for a year or so I went to a .45 and now it's just a little single stack 9 pocket rocket. I can, but choose not to, open carry in my state. I don't need some other pocket rocket packing 'savior' to put 2 in me for carrying my absolutely gorgeous Beretta on my hip when he thinks he's just saving other people from me going nuts and getting on the news.

You were singled out, and that's ok too. I know I'm in the minority on this, but Costco inherently reserves the right to check by putting that in the contract. It's happened to others, and they too were singled out. I dropped a drink out of my cupholder that sits behind my console a few years ago. I was fumbling around trying to reach it and got a little swervy. Cop pulled me over to see if I had been drinking. I was singled out because he saw something. Right in front of where I work, practically in the parking lot. It was a bit embarrassing, and potentially job costing. Where I worked, the company had the right to have a cop come check out your car for just about anything. Yeah, it was a BS policy, but I accepted it when I accepted the job. Had that happened, I'd have lost my job because.... well.... something was in the glovebox or the console.

It's rare you can open a news site and not see "blah blah killed in blah blah public setting today"

If folks see something, they should say something.

That's why it's important for all of us pocket rocket toters to tote responsibly. I rarely see someone printing but when I do, I will admit I watch them a little closer. I'm singling them out. Maybe sometimes it's a phone, or a multitool. or nothing. But I pay a little more attention to them.

OP - sorry you are going through all of that.

Reactions: denny and old sarge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky