ISS (International Space Station) Viewing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
Just went out and watched it go over top of the house... That thing hauls BUTT ... 17,164 MPH (4.768 miles per second)... Only takes 1 1/2 hrs to go all the way around the earth... If you want times for viewing in your area go to this site and type in your zip code...

http://iss.astroviewer.net/observation.php?lon=-82.54022750000001&lat=27.6072268&name=34221

It will look like a star (brighter and not flashing).. traveling at that speed you only get a few minutes of viewing.... If you go to the home page it will show you a map and where it is at that time...

Last edited:
Reactions: shoebe
I have the "ISS Detector" app on my Android phone (I assume the IPhone had the same thing) and the family and I love it. It alerts you then the ISS is about to go over and if it is viewable based on your location.

It is an incredible sight that still amazes me every time I see it.

Just had an 8:11 viewing.. have some scattered clouds but still had a pretty good view... looks like it will be coming over central U.S in about 1.5 hrs....

Here is another resource for ISS and other similar data (Iridium flares, satellites, etc...).  It is a website I used back in my astronomy geek days.  Unfortunately I just have not had time in the past few years to get out and do much observing. I still have all the equipment.  My favorite scope is a homemade truss dobs with a 12.5" f6 full thickness pyrex Coulter mirror that came from the University of Miami.  The mirror was hand refigured by Steve Swayze just before I bought it.

Ok, I get distracted (I do miss star parties though)....  back to the website

Heavens Above

http://www.heavens-above.com/

And for those of you who do not have any observing equipment, a lot of the items they track are observable with the unaided eye.  A cool thing if you have never seen one is an Iridium flare.  The Iridium satellites have flat sides and once you input your GPS location into the website, it will show any upcoming "flares".   With a very accurate watch/clock (most cell phones sync to the tower times which should be synced to the atomic clock official time), go and watch the area of the sky the website identifies.  You will see a "bright" star suddenly appear and then fade.  This is the Iridium satellite rotating in orbit and the flat outer panel is reflecting sunlight on your specific location (which is why the program needs your GPS coordinates to work).  These happen all the time and most people have not idea.  The brightness listed is greater the lower the number (negative numbers are brighter).  The brighter flares can be seen from even city locations with a lot of sky glow from street lights, traffic, and billboards.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the ISS detector app does the iridium flares too! And WOW they can be bright.

The family and I went outside to see one once and when I came inside a friend of mine who lives close by had just posted on Facebook "I just saw the brightest shooting star ever"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky