Is Amazon Prime still a good deal ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I Prime. Such a convenient way to get supplies and my maintenance items like filters and some oils are up 50% cheap vs buying local. We use the streaming and the kids tear up the music. All told for us right now Prime is definitely a value.

I do all my Christmas shopping on Prime
I'm like Rich. In fact, that's how we got started with Amazon long ago. When I worked, I worked against constant deadlines, especially in November and December. I was often doing my mall and retailer Christmas shopping as late as Christmas Eve. The year I signed up for Amazon, before there was a Prime, I was finished Christmas shopping by the end of September. Been using Amazon ever since.

Reactions: chopsaw
My Prime sub comes due at the end of this month. At one time, the free shipping and quick delivery made it economical. I'm not so sure any more.

First, since the pandemic, one day shipping has become sporadic. And they now offer a free option if your willing to combine items accept longer delivery. Which for me, is no big deal. Rarely do I order something that I must have the next day.

We don't watch Prime Video. I've got so many options as to TV entertainment, I can't sort it all out. Thursday Night Football is something I'll watch, but heck, I can't stay up for the second half of night games any more, anyway. And most games I don't have an interest. Paying a $140 a year for maybe one or two football games is not economical for me.

I'm supposed to get unlimited free photo storage, but I think they're charging me $2 a month for that, anyway. And I use Microsoft OneDrive to back up everything, which I pay a hefty price for.

Unless I can find some other reason, I'm gonna cancel and see how it goes without Prime.

I've got too many subscriptions. It starts to add up.
I just let it auto pay each month. I buy enough crap on amazon and it's the best pay movie/TV app we use. And amazon music is da bomb. especially th e HD content

I was often doing my mall and retailer Christmas shopping as late as Christmas Eve.

I just let it auto pay each month.
Ray , been there myself . Just checked my auto pay . $16.18 a month . Under $200 a year is a no brainer for me .
Went to the 2 big box stores . The pipe parts for my project came up to $160.00 .
So I came home and placed another order with Amazon that came to $53.00 . Be here tomorrow . So if it shows up that's a big savings .

amazon music is da bomb. especially th e HD content
I'll have to check that out .

Reactions: noboundaries
I have a small Klein Tools job sight speaker. I drive it with Amazon Music. That baby flat rocks the shower! :emoji_laughing:

Ray , been there myself . Just checked my auto pay . $16.18 a month . Under $200 a year is a no brainer for me .
Went to the 2 big box stores . The pipe parts for my project came up to $160.00 .
So I came home and placed another order with Amazon that came to $53.00 . Be here tomorrow . So if it shows up that's a big savings .
Mine was 14.99 a month. I just switched to the annual plan. Saved 40.00 doing that.

You can find almost anything, and many times at huge discount prices. For instance, replacement support rods for Samsung washer basket; five years ago they were $140 for the set at a reputable local appliance parts outlet. Needed them again recently and a set of four with great reviews is $30 on Amazon!

I have done major pool maintenance and repair with parts from Amazon! And on and on.

I do use the Prime Video, and Prime Music. I do pay a little extra on the music package to get hi-def streaming and unlimited selection. Music is a primary hobby for me.

So yeah, I still like Amazon.

Looks like Amazon has a lot of happy customers, but what I'm asking here is nuanced and pertains to whether to pay Amazon extra for Prime. For this household, its no longer the value it was. Its a tough decision to keep it. I have too many subscriptions and every day, someone else is deciding to charge.

I'd also caution about items on any on-line shopping site that are ridiculously low priced. Its highly likely that if something is extremely cheap, that its stolen. The merchandise from this increase in thefts we're seeing, is ending up for sale on the internet.

Few months ago I bought an electric Dewalt chain saw from Tractor Supply. Got it home and it did not have the battery. TS had taken the battery out because they get stolen and sold on the internet.

I like a bargain as much as anyone, but I also don't like feeding criminals.

Here's my Amazon problem rant....

First off, reviews. 10ish years ago they used to be helpful. Not now. Everything is 4.5 stars. Before, crappy products got bad reviews, now-a-days you really have to read the reviews individually and I hate that.

We've had Amazon Prime for a long time. Almost as long as its been around. The convivence is a bit of a double edge sword. My wife probably spends more than she would on crap that we don't need if it wasn't so easy to order. Amazon knows that and plays that well. There was discussion a couple years ago within Amazon that they considered a program (with their predictive algorithms) that they would just send you stuff that you might like/use, and you could send anything back that you didn't need or want. I can just imagine all the good stuff that we never knew we always needed filling up my house. Seriously Amazon stops by our house almost daily as it is.

The one thing I have to give them is customer service. In all the years that we've used them I've probably contacted them half a dozen times and each time they take care of me quick. Its probably a big reason they are so successful.

Here's my Amazon problem rant....

First off, reviews. 10ish years ago they used to be helpful. Not now. Everything is 4.5 stars. Before, crappy products got bad reviews, now-a-days you really have to read the reviews individually and I hate that.
Yes, the overvalued of reviews is not there anymore. Now I only read the one star and two star reviews to get a sense for what the major issues are. Usually I can tell if the major issues are support, shipping, or product doesn't do what it is supposed to. Then I use the % of these reviews to estimate how likely I am to get a bad one. If the product doesn't do what it is supposed to, I just move on.

We have Prime, and I've had the same Prime/no Prime debate. We rarely watch their movies and never their music.

Between my wife and I though, we do use Amazon Prime quite a bit because local retailers (big box and small guys) are a total crap-shoot for inventory and pricing. And with gasoline now north of $5.20/gal locally, I'm not about to drive my 13mpg in-the-city truck fifteen to twenty miles searching for something I need.

Example. Recently I needed two CR2032 batteries for a device in the house. It's a common friggin' battery. The last time I needed those batteries I had to drive to three big box retailers before I found them at a small battery retailer that charged $8 for two, $12 for four. That retailer is always my last choice due to their pricing. Money, gas, and ninety minutes of my time gone.

So, as I was making a grocery shopping list last week, I habitually included stops at the retailers to look for the batteries when a little voice in my head said, "Look at Amazon." Guest what - $5.99 for 10! I never left the couch to buy them and they arrived in two days. So far the two I've installed are working fine. I could throw the rest away and I'm still ahead of the spending curve. That one purchase paid for a month of my Amazon Prime subscription with gas savings and local pricing alone.

Prime debate solved for me.

Ray
Much the same. I commute 140 miles per day at least 2x a week. sometimes 3-4. Work 9-10 hours 5 nights a week and sometimes 3-4 on Saturdays. For us vampires, it saves me either getting up early or going to bed late.

I usually price compare to the Mart. I needed a toilet seat the other day, and I was in the Mart, and guess what? They were out. I know I can go to Lowes or the Depot, but it's 5-6 bucks higher in there. Amazon delivered next day for 9$ and I saved myself 45 minutes or so. Big Daddy Bezo's online flea market is NEVER out of anything, and I can't say that for any other place around here.

I miss when it was 9.99/month, but I'll keep it until it hits closer to $20

Also - I'm in love with Anker branded products. Flashlights, chargers, it's hard to beat. I got turned on to them when cell phone batteries were easily replaceable. A samsung battery I bought for a Note 3-4 something or other would barely hold a charge. Was it fake? Maybe. I returned it and bought the Anker. Never looked back.

Looks like Amazon has a lot of happy customers, but what I'm asking here is nuanced and pertains to whether to pay Amazon extra for Prime. For this household, its no longer the value it was. Its a tough decision to keep it. I have too many subscriptions and every day, someone else is deciding to charge.
If you only pay for it for shipping and not the other benefits I would drop it. I can wait a few days more and bundle up several purchases.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
Funny enough my auto renewal came up yesterday for $149. I am good no to pay closer attention to just how often I order less than $35 and how often when I do could I have waited. As I think more about it I don't watch a lot of Prime TV and the music sucks anymore. For the few times I want to watch it which would be Thursday night football I could use my brother's who gets it at a reduced cost

Reactions: Smokin Okie
pay closer attention to just how often I order less than $35 and how often when I do could I have waited.
I just keep a list with links to items under $35 that I want to buy.
If I get enough to be over $35 I will buy them, or if buying something over $35 will add one or more from the list to the order.
I can only think of one time I needed something right away and paid the shipping.
And that turned out to be a waste because it didn't arrive when they said it would.
Don't watch any Amazon shows or listen to any music.
Have my own music server.
I'm ahead by not paying for it.

Last edited:
They chip away at your money.
Very true and it's done in away that you don't notice it until they have a chunk of your money .
I just ordered some converters and cables for a new surround setup .
When I went to check out I get the message " Spend another $1.09 to get next day shipping "
Sounds like a deal to me . Grabbed another HDMI cable , 10 bucks should do it .
I guess the next day is always the next day on the day ?
I got 2 days later . No big deal except I don't like to be taken advantage of , but I let it happen . Should know better by now .
Commercials on Prime might make me rethink the whole thing .

I'm a YouTube Premium subscriber and I enjoy it being ad free and will keep it as I use YT Music also.

However, for other sites I'm beginning to not be annoyed by ads. On some movies and TV shows, I actually appreciate a break. I can go to the kitchen or take a bathroom break, or look at something on the internet. Yeah, I can pause most shows but I mostly won't do it until I have to.

I've been reassessing ad free.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky