Instant Pot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
No not the green stuff we can get instantly here in Oregon.

Is anyone here using one? This video is older. There reviews for the thing a pretty good. I'm not looking to buy, just curious if anyone here uses one and how they like it. The newer 7 in 1 looks pretty nice.

Great minds...

I was looking at it at Costco the other day. Never used it but a co-worker swears by it. Especially about being able to brown in it before cooking.

FYI: as far as I know you cannot use it for canning.

Great minds...

I was looking at it at Costco the other day. Never used it but a co-worker swears by it. Especially about being able to brown in it before cooking.

FYI: as far as I know you cannot use it for canning.
Yeah its a low pressure, pressure cooker. So no canning.

Amazon seems to have good prices on them.

Like I said I'm not in the market for another toy. I had just read about it on NPR's Salt blog. My Ogallala Cream Can is the only pressure cooker I need. In fact I got rid of my crock pot when I got the cream can.

I use a power pressure cooker xl like seen on tv. Awesome working.

The missus wanted one for Christmas and she got one. The thing is actually pretty cool. Mac and Cheese in abut 5 minutes, chicken thighs in about 20 minutes, pork chops in about 15 minutes, Chicken broth in 30 minutes. It works really good for us as we both work and getting dinner done on the weekday is now a snap. There are so many recipes out there on the inter web that it is ridiculous. Haven't tried it yet but there is also a way to make yogurt in it.

Mac and Cheese in abut 5 minutes, chicken thighs in about 20 minutes, pork chops in about 15 minutes, Chicken broth in 30 minutes
-----
Are these something you experienced or are they what the manufacturer claims? I understand the claims are a bit exaggerated.

I own one and I bought my mother one.  She cooks with it probably 2-3 times a week making all kinds of stuff including Mexican Menudo soup!

I like the thing but don't use it too much.  Lately I've been using it to do rice where I just throw it all in, set and forget.  Very nice.

I've made the following in it numerous times:
  1. Pinto Beans with ham
  2. Black Eyed Peas with ham
  3. Borracho Beans with smoked turkey wings from the store
  4. Venison Shank Pot Roast  (was going for braised but still need to figure out water amount, made a great pot roast on accident haha)
  5. Wild Pork Shank Ramen Noodle Soup (not the Ramen junk in the packs for 30 cents but real Japanese Ramen, wow!)
  6. White Rice
  7. Beef Stew
  8. Mexican Menudo Soup (made with my mother to finally get a recipe written down)
I may have made some other things in like Green Chili Pork Posole but I cant remember.

I can tell you to do animal shanks for at least 115 minutes to get them to pull and/or fall off the bone.

This past Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend Amazon had it super cheap on a lightning deal for like $48 or $68!  I cant remember the exact price but really cheap.

My next big goal is to make tamales in it.  This would involve doing the meat, and then steaming the formed tamales in the same pot.

My mother uses the giant All American pressure cooker I bought her to do like like 14 dozen tamales at a time.

Anyhow, long story short, I have one and I think it's worth having especially if you like to set and forget and not have to wait too long :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky