Injection question.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbnice1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
So a lot of injections I have looked up which I want to try all have melted butter as a component.

Even if I bring the whole injection to a boil while mixing once it cools the butter re-solidifies. And then it clogs the injector unless i I use my Big 1.5 gallon pump injector.

So how are you all doing this? No of the recipes say to make clarified butter and use it so im confused.

If I’m using an injection with butter in it, I don’t let it cool down enough to solidify the butter. I inject right before the meat goes into the smoker & you also have to be careful not to inject big pockets of the injection, or you will have chunks of coagulated butter in the meat. You have to move the needle around a lot & only inject small amounts at each point. At some point you may want to try a commercial injection, we use Tony C’s a lot, but it has a LOT of salt in it. Hope this helps!
Al

I don't inject a lot, but when I do I use a commercial brand, like Tony Cs or a reputable brand one like Big Poppas Cattle Prod or from Kosmos, etc. Yes, they have phosphates. But I don't use them at full strength and enhance with some broth or something.

Again, I am not an injector for the most part, but I must say, I have used commercial injections for turkey breast and even chicken breast. I prefer the flavored ones that do contain some phosphates.

I know there are those that are averse to phosphates, but I RARELY use them and usually cut the concentration. I'm still here and breathing. They do work, particularly on turkey breast.

I tried tony c's once.. wasnt a big fan. I actually have been using a modified version of Slaughterhouse Poultry Injection that i got from here. I just add a bit of msg. And I use 50/50 apple cider/chicken stock or broth.

I just would have thought you wouldnt want to inject warm stuff into your cold bird, but will have to try it. I love using my pump injector but its a PITA to clean when your only doing 1 small chicken.

I just would have thought you wouldnt want to inject warm stuff into your cold bird,
I think that's why SmokinAl SmokinAl mentioned he injects and goes right to the smoker to start the cook .
I wouldn't inject warm and hold in the fridge .

Phosphates can be what makes the magic in an injection . If more people would read the labels from the items in their shopping cart , they would find several things that have phosphates in the list . Like a loaf of sandwich bread .

My favorite for poultry is Pop's brine . I inject the bird the soak over night . Always good .

Reactions: SmokinAl
I think that's why SmokinAl SmokinAl mentioned he injects and goes right to the smoker to start the cook .
I wouldn't inject warm and hold in the fridge .

Phosphates can be what makes the magic in an injection . If more people would read the labels from the items in their shopping cart , they would find several things that have phosphates in the list . Like a loaf of sandwich bread .

My favorite for poultry is Pop's brine . I inject the bird the soak over night . Always good .
Thanks Rich,
Yes that is why I inject REAL butter injections right before they go in the smoker, and like you I use Pops brine when I want that hammy flavor. But I do use Tony C’s & brine too, with the slaughterhouse brine. Lots of options!
Al

Reactions: chopsaw
Pops brine when I want that hammy flavor.
If you like lemon on poultry add 1 tsp of lemon extract to the gallon . It's a subtle hint , but if I don't do it now I get questions . Lol . I only soak over night , then just black pepper on the skin .
You could start lower . At first I was using 1/2 tsp .
I also have maple and anise . I used the anise on a pork loin . Injected and soaked over night . It was good .

I also use the slaughterhouse brine. I really like how it turns out. Just could never figure out how they use butter based injections unless they were warm. lol

Mater fact what brought this up was me mixing up the brine yesterday for this bird I got from a co-worker who raises 50-60 birds every year.

Attachments

• IMG_7728.jpg
    IMG_7728.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 5
When I need to use butter for an injection, I make and emulsion with the liquid and the butter. I put the liquid in a jar and slowly add the melted butter while mixing with my immersion blender. It usually works but sometimes the emulsion breaks and the fat floats to the top. You can add lecithin to the mix for a more stable emulsion. You can also use an egg yolk as an emulsifier if the cooked yolk texture won't make a difference in the final product. One yolk should emulsify 5 - 7 ounces of oil. You could also try honey or mustard. I haven't tried those so I cannot say what the results might be. I use this technique mostly for injecting turkeys. Hope this was useful.

JC :emoji_cat:

Yea I use this for ribs when I wrap but not for a injection......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky