Inept in New Hampshire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redstar

Original poster
May 31, 2017
New Hampshire
Hello all! Thanks for this great community. Lurking for a few weeks has already taught me quite a bit and has me more motivated to improve than I otherwise may have been.

My name is Nathan and I just started smoking last month. I had some Southwest Rewards Points that were about to expire and since I had no desire to travel with a one year old boy, our first kid, I used the points to get a Masterbuilt 30 electric smoker with remote and window. Then I ordered mesquite, peach, cherry and pecan woods, a dual probe wireless thermometer and the Masterbuilt cold smoker attachment. The day I received the items I cured the smoker, bought a brisket, prepped it and smoked the very next day. The brisket turned out great and I was truly hooked.

Since doing the brisket I've smoked something almost every weekend. Two top round roasts (turned out ok but wasn't as thrilled as with the brisket), two whole chickens (wonderful), a swineapple (I did this just for fun and to learn. I don't like pineapple in my food and tend to be weary of undercooked pork. The bacon outside was perfect, and the pork had ok flavor but I used too much dry rub, aka: salty, and way over cooked it.) and then my second favorite thing so far was the trout bites that Thoseguys26 posted here. Those were a huge hit and I couldn't keep them to enjoy for very long before my friends and wife ate them up.

Some of my goals are to create my own bbq sauce and to get a great smoked pulled pork, fine tune brisket, get a good smoked lamb shoulder under my belt and smoke some salmon. I hope that someday I'll be able to help others and contribute to the community. Also, I've messaged back and forth with Thoseguys26 and he's been super generous with his help and time. If there are others that are as polite and patient as he is, as I'm sure there are, this is really a great community. Thanks for letting me be a part of it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky